Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 82 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Tunnel liner
Page: of 39

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  6:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The windows are installed, and now the challenge is assembling the large structure.

The graph paper helps keep things square, and later on I'll use this to trace the floor.

Previously I glued the two blank walls (long wall and end) together, and now I'm gluing them to the finished walls.

Then I trace the outline for the floor, cut the floor from .060, and then set the structure back down. I cut large pieces of bracing along the top of the blank walls, and along the floor butting up against the finished and blank walls.

First I glue the lower bracing to the floor, pushing it out against the walls. Then when that's dried (and I check things), I glue the walls to that bracing.

Finally, another test-fit on location.

I still need to do the roof and the tower for the left mill, and assemble and paint the laser-cut structure for the right mill. I also need to do some more scenery planning.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  11:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Dave.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2019 :  08:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good; since it seems likely you'll miss my next op session, I should stop by the next time I'm up your way.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2019 :  11:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Looks good; since it seems likely you'll miss my next op session, I should stop by the next time I'm up your way.

You're always welcome, but there's not much else to see :-(

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2019 :  12:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
developing nicely indeed.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2019 :  12:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Dave. Large structures present challenges such as requirements for extra bracing and repetition fatigue. Youíre doing a good job conquering both. Itís going to make a distinctive scene-maker.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2019 :  1:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Looking good, Dave. Large structures present challenges such as requirements for extra bracing and repetition fatigue. Youíre doing a good job conquering both. Itís going to make a distinctive scene-maker.

Mike

I should have been studying for the Mineralogy practical exam tis week :-(

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2019 :  5:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Life has many facets.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2019 :  4:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Life has many facets.

Ouch!!! I don't think I can do Miller Indices for them, though! (Geology joke...)

I've been struggling with cutting the subwalls for arched windows. My first attempt failed, so I constructed a jig. The window top is 3/8"diameter circle. The jig has 1/32 strip on either side of a 3/8" hole, to hold the .040 styrene. Then I line up a horizontal mark on the styrene with a horizontal alignment line on the jig, flip the jig over, and use the drill press to cut through the styrene without the styrene chipping or the drill wandering.

Then I cut through the square part of the window, and sand until the window casting fits snugly.

I don't need all of the window openings, only those from the side where you'd be able to see from one side through to the other. (This'll make more sense when I assemble everything.)

dave

Edited by - deemery on 04/27/2019 4:52:01 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2019 :  9:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That seems to have worked smoothly.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2019 :  09:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Dave. I like that jig idea to cut out windows. Neat idea.

Bernd

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2019 :  5:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of work goes into those arched windows...

This is the side of the tower that goes against the mill, that's why most of the wall is blank.

Now it's a matter of letting the paint fully cure (windows and walls), and then I can add glazing to the windows, install them in the walls, and assemble the tower. That'll go quickly, since I can use the Tichy glazing without having to trim it.

dave

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2019 :  7:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My that is a lot of windows...no wonder the other two sides (the sides that won't be seen), don't have any. There's not enough now!
Tedious work for arched windows, but you are doing such a great job.

Rich

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2019 :  7:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mocked up the tower.

dave

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2019 :  8:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking really good, Dave, and I love the jig idea for the arched windows. Need to file that one away....

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: Tunnel liner  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000