Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Mt. Willard section house.
Page: of 34

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  9:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Wiring...

dave

Yes, a necessary evil. My least favorite chore of the hobby.

Bob

It's only make-believe

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  9:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How about the single-nail clamps for fasting co-ax cable? I got 25 0.25" for $2.99 and bought a couple dozen #4 round head wood screws to replace the nails.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  9:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or, You could dab a little no-odor polyurethane where you plan on putting them and let it dry overnight.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  4:41:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, while wiring, I found MORE track kinks. Did I ever mention how much I hate trackwork!?! I tried to fix them, but I'm contemplating either trying to hire someone to fix the track problems, or just doing a very large diorama. Very frustrated today!!

The problem with attaching the Wago connectors is there is significant torque when you open one of the levers, and significantly more torque if you open both levers at the same time. It appears the trick is to only open 1 lever at a time, while holding the connector in place with a finger on the other lever.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  8:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with the trackwork. Is the sub-roadbed shifting on you?
Or have the kinks always been there but you just didn't notice them?

Bob

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  09:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The kinks are definitely new. The track went in maybe 6 months ago. The basement doesn't have a dehumidifier, but it seems to be pretty stable. At this time of year, I'd expect the basement to be -drier- and therefore any track problems to be from shrinking, rather than expansion. But the kinks are all expansion kinks, the rails are longer than they were. I'm using Homabed, which I've learned is quite unstable in the face of moisture changes, I guess I should have painted it after installing it, before laying track. sigh...

dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  10:55:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got some compression kinks in a few of my tracks the first winter. I got out the motor tool/cutting disk and expanded some gaps to fix it. They've never reoccurred, though I did get some rail creep closing gaps until I put bits of styrene in all of them (pix in my B&M Eastern Route thread). I think the underlying problem is the lumber industry's interpretation of "kiln dried" vs. actual heating/cooling season indoor humidity.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  11:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

About every other year I have a section of track pop up during this time of the year. For that reason I try to leave small gaps between sections of track and I do not solder rail joiners. Still, like James, I have to widen gaps here and there.

Itís all annoying but I can tell you itís best catching problems now before ballasting.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  12:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep the faith Dave. I'm sure you can work it out. You've put a lot of time in to give up that easy!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  11:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still thinking through the buildings behind the bridge. The one on the left is a quick mock-up to get a sense of size. It's 40' wide x 140' long, 4 stories. I did a bit of research and 11' between stories seems to be pretty common for local mills. The box on the left represents a mill tower that will be more-or-less that same height, even if it doesn't stick out as far. There'll be a spur to the left of the tower, leading to a coal dump and probably a warehouse.

The stuff on the right is an ITLA flat (hotel, that I'll repurpose as a fancy mill building, probably the 2nd mill on the site. The building on the left will be the newer 3rd mill.

I still need to think through the dam and streambed/rest of the terrain.

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  12:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start on the scene. I'm trying to imagine it with the roofs and clock towers added. It should look great.
Bob

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  1:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next step, picking and ordering the (7 packs) of window castings. I considered these windows and a larger 9/9 window, but decided the smaller windows looked more in balance.

I'll get some fancier arch-top windows for the tower.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 03/30/2019 1:07:29 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  3:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

If you order 7 packs of windows youíre well on your way to the minimum order to get free shipping from Tichy.

Today I received an order I made Thursday.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  4:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Dave that's an impressive building. Looking forward to this coming to life!

Good pick on the windows.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  3:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The big challenge with large/long buildings is the roof. Most New England mills had slate roofs. My preferred solution was the paper shingles that New England Scale Models (the spin-off from New England Scale Lumber) sold, but I'd buy them unassembled. NESL sells them glued together but you can't make a good 14" long roof from 4x6 panels of slates. :-(

dave

Page: of 34 Topic Next Topic: Mt. Willard section house.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000