Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Mt. Willard section house. Topic Next Topic: Scenery Challenge, camouflage opening
Page: of 34

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  8:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

when I have something I like :-)
dave

Cheater!

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  7:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A work-in-progess shot. The cloth over the styrofoam helps me visualize the final landform. The close-in styrofoam is there mostly for the landscape outside the tunnel, but I'll also recut that to set the elevation on top of the tunnel.

I'll do hardshell (plaster cloth on top of newspaper balls) to fill in between the layers of styrofoam. But I want to preserve those layers, so I can dig down and get to a level substrate to set the structures upon.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 09/27/2018 7:56:19 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  10:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so envious of that 2" foam. be careful not to be too uniform in your layers.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2018 :  09:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pink foam came from Lowes. (I had a $10 off $50 coupon :-) )

All that pink area will be covered by structures, it's the city location.

Mark Dalrymple, if you're reading this: Any thoughts on how to plan to fill it? James Van Bokkelen suggested figuring out the roads first, and that makes sense to me. I'm thinking the road will come from the middle flats towards the bottom of the street and climb uphill along the tracks. There'll be some side streets branching off back away from the viewer.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 09/28/2018 09:29:44 AM

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/28/2018 :  4:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not Mark, but I'll chime in. For an urban scene, I'd suggest structures.

But seriously, I agree that starting with the streets is a good approach. Two questions to help the thought process - is there a defining landscape feature that would shape the scene such as a bluff or creek, etc that city planners may have worked around? And are there any key structures that must be included in order for it to feel right? And a third - what is the overall size of the average structure going to be? That is, are they all relatively small buildings clustered together, or a mix of large & small, or massive structures like I.M. Boren?

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2018 :  5:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Galen, good questions. The idea here is 'city rising up a hill', something I'm familiar with growing up in Pittsburgh :-) The intent is for commercial structures, e.g. 'block buildings', banks, etc towards the left, and then houses going up the hill to the right. Those will still be city-oriented, i.e. 3 story townhouses. Most everything will be scratchbuilt (structure building is my favorite part of the hobby), but I do have some kits that I'd like to fit in (Such as "Dorothy's House" from SS Ltd - that might go on the hill over the tunnel portal in front, as "prime real estate".)

Further back, towards the back wall and the white post, there'll be more bluffs/cliffs and forest.

dave

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/28/2018 :  6:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SS Ltd makes some beautiful urban structures. I've always had my eye on the Drug Store with its corner turret, but my current city-scape will be two-story structures, mostly kitbashed from inexpensive kits.

Are you familiar with John Ott's Miskatonic RR? His urban scenes in the mythical city of Arkham are simply stunning.

Galen

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2018 :  7:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, John does great work. It's such a shame the Salem MA station was torn down. John also produces outstanding prints of mid 19th century locomotives in period-correct paint scheme.

dave

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/28/2018 :  8:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I decided to take your peninsula image and have a little fun in Gimp. Mirroring the curve of the track with a curved street leads the eye across the scene, either following the track or following the street. I snaked the street up the hill, across the first bluff, then up again and back. Each successive level is a parallel or ripple of the main street's curve, creating rhythm and cadence.

Potential Street arrangement:

Download Attachment: deemery1_streets.jpg
37.54 KB

A few structures roughed in:

Download Attachment: deemery1_structures.jpg
37.9 KB

The structures I put in are only a handful. The entire area along each street could be filled with rows of buildings facing each street. I'd suggest on the far left, larger complexes, or groups of buildings like a lumber yard or any FSM-type group of low buildings. The buildings along the street that I've roughed in might be flat topped 3 story brick structures and likewise along the first tier. The higher level may be larger homes as you've mentioned, perhaps victorian mansions. The idea would be to create a clear difference in roof lines, with peaks or assorted roof types down along the tracks, flat or mansard/flat roofs in the business blocks facing the streets, and peaks/turrets/hip roofs higher up.

Just a few thoughts. No offense taken if you hate it or go an entirely different direction.

Galen

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2018 :  8:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won't have any suggestions here (except Email Mark) because urban modeling is not my cup of tea. but I am very interested in what you end up doing here. Are you going to force perspective here? Exaggerate the vertical?

Bob

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2018 :  08:10:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Galen, that's kinda what I had in mind, but continuing the road in front running uphill to the next terrace, too. Structures at the top of the hill help serve as a view block between the aisle on the right and the rest of the layout. There's a spur coming out of the track in the far distance roughly where your road crosses the track. That will run top-to-bottom, with a passenger tation between it and the main line, and probably a freight station closer to the bottom of the photo.

Bob, things are too close together to do any forced perspective. But I might try that in the far right corner. I have some Downtown Deco N Scale 'boneyard' castings put away.

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2018 :  09:55:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Some interesting urban ideas here. Looks like an opportunity to get those kits off the shelves and completed structures out of storage.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2018 :  09:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A view of the right (near) side slope:

The grade (for a road up the hill) doesn't look so bad here.

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2018 :  8:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Orogeny' (mountain building) continues

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2018 :  10:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, the forced perspective doesn't need to be that drastic to be effective. just 10% a row of building will be very effective. take a seriously technique look at some painting of your intended prototype. Or lay some plastic graphs over a few pictures.
you'll see what i mean.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 09/29/2018 10:22:48 PM

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Mt. Willard section house. Topic Next Topic: Scenery Challenge, camouflage opening  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000