Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 63 ]  [ Total: 68 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Avalon Tippi Foam Cutter
Page: of 26

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  12:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice clamps, nicer work on the layout. It's going to be just super. Did you ever get the class straighten out.

It's only make-believe

Brunton
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  07:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! If I clamped my track down waiting for caulk to dry, I'd have a depression at every clamp point when it was all done. I just use soda and beer cans to hold track in place until the caulk dries.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  09:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Nice clamps, nicer work on the layout. It's going to be just super. Did you ever get the class straighten out.

Yeah, but I'm still fighting UNH's terrible IT to get fully connected.

quote:
Originally posted by Brunton

Wow! If I clamped my track down waiting for caulk to dry, I'd have a depression at every clamp point when it was all done. I just use soda and beer cans to hold track in place until the caulk dries.

Your trackwork must be better than mine :-) In a couple of places, I need to bend things a bit to keep a kink out of the joint. In a couple other places, the track seems to have warped a bit, and the clamps keep everything plumb/level.

And I have a relatively short tolerance for this work, so I do an hour or two and then get bored/frustrated/annoyed, so I walk away and do something else for the rest of the day.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  5:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the trowel I'm using to spread the caulk underneath the ties:

One place that's hard to reach had a long string of 'loose' ties (where the small ME railheads broke off.) I pulled the assembled (but not glued down) piece out and then glued the loose rail section to some FastTracks tie sticks. I'm using roller gauges to hold the track in gauge when I attach the tie sticks.

Then I flipped the track over and checked with 3-point gauges:

And here's the track in location:

Tomorrow I'll go back and paint the ties and touch up the rail paint.

The big mistake I made was soldering that section of track (about 5' worth) together before I was ready to caulk it in place. It would have been Much Easier to manage if I didn't have such a long and fragile length to worry about.

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  8:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished caulking all the track that was ready to go. That includes positioning but not caulking the piece of standard gauge track where the narrow gauge crossing will be. But I had to remove and reinstall one turnout, the caulk built up on one side and tilted that turnout. I then started on the single crossover.

Pictures tomorrow afternoon. (Class tomorrow morning, and the dogs have to go to the groomers.)

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  11:40:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the 'caulk spreader' in action. First, a bead of caulk, about 3/16" diameter.

Then I spread it with the serrated knife, keeping the knife close to the roadbed to minimize the height of the ridges.

I wanted to guarantee a straight stretch of (standard gauge) track where there'll be a crossing with the narrow gauge. So I used a Ribbonrail gauge to align the two feeder pieces. Then the clamps hold the track in alignment until the caulk dries.

No caulk on that middle section, so I can remove the straight track and construct the crossing on the bench.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 09/04/2018 11:42:32 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  8:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of progress on the crossover. Those are hard! Photos tomorrow when I finish it.

dave

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  10:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to see school and critters haven't hampered progress. Looks good!

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  4:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the single crossover:

To the left is a little bit of the turnout for the line that goes across the dropgate.

I need to order single crossover tie strips from FastTracks.

As usual, I had the most problem soldering the throwbars.

dave

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  8:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Dave.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  9:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Excellent. I expect you will have very smooth runs from one track to the other. Of course, your rolling stock is so short that you could probably have gotten away with no. 3 turnouts.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2018 :  08:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the points is not quite as smooth as I'd want. I'm debating unsoldering it and creating a new one. First I'll run some cars back and forth to see if anything derails. (Maybe tonight, geology class and lab all day today :-) )

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2018 :  6:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In what I see as a very good move, ME announced that its yard ladder system will also be available in Code 70, as well as the current Code 83.

On the one hand, this means I won't need to make as many FastTracks #4 turnouts. On the other hand, I won't get the expected use out of that FastTracks jig.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 09/06/2018 6:38:38 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2018 :  8:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Often, a needle or knife file can fix a point in place. If you post a picture, I could say more.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2018 :  5:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran a couple of cars through that worrisome turnout, seems to work OK. I'll post a photo maybe tonight or tomorrow.

dave

Page: of 26 Topic Next Topic: Avalon Tippi Foam Cutter  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000