Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rebuilding my T&P layout HO scale Topic Next Topic: Cork Roadbed Thickness
Page: of 22

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  12:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh! Progress starting to shape up nicely.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  12:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Dave,
Just catching up on your thread again, nice layout room and a great beginning to a future layout. It appears you will have a good stretch of landscaping to do and a great number of acres in order to plant many structures. Nice quick work.
Rich

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  07:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Dave,

Thatís a pretty cute knife in the colors of a watermelon. XActo knives should be red for all the cuts Iíve sustained using them.

Dover Orogeny: youíve been paying attention in your geology class.

Mike

I knew you'd get the joke. My first official class starts in 2 weeks, it's titled "Landscape Evolution." :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  12:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting approach to your scenery. While I want my scenery to be plausible you are one of the few that are modeling a specific landscape. Nice idea, It really is. I look forward to seeing you develop it more fully. The geology class sounds fun.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2018 :  2:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Interesting approach to your scenery. While I want my scenery to be plausible you are one of the few that are modeling a specific landscape. Nice idea, It really is. I look forward to seeing you develop it more fully. The geology class sounds fun.

I'm not trying to duplicate specific geology of any area. Dover (NH)'s geology isn't all that interesting from a modeling perspective. But in general I'm after the look of the Allegheny Plateau, with some deep gullies and some relatively rolling flat surfaces.

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  8:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I installed the two passing siding's homabed, and was working on filling turnouts, when I knocked over my jar of thinned glue. After cleaning that up, I decided it was time to stop

I'll finish the homabed tomorrow.

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  9:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

quote:

I'm not trying to duplicate specific geology of any area. Dover (NH)'s geology isn't all that interesting from a modeling perspective. But in general I'm after the look of the Allegheny Plateau, with some deep gullies and some relatively rolling flat surfaces.

dave

oh, OK, you want the general character of the scenery. So do I. trouble is instead of looking like the Oregon coast it came out looking like the high Sierra But I get to try it again.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  5:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the standard gauge homabed in place, and installed track for 2 passing sidings and the long spur. I need to prep more flextrack and get a couple more turnouts. I also need to design the crossover (single or double?) just before the drop gate and the big yard lead. (This completes the passing siding along the front wall.)

I'm hoping James Van Bokkelen will come by and look at my track before I glue everything down. I've operated on his layout, and the trackwork is superb!

update James was able to stop by, and we walked through the entire track to date. He pointed out places where I needed to adjust some kinks, talked about some additional track items, and generally caught up. (It's been a while since he's seen the work-in-progress.) I really appreciate his taking the time to lend me his expertise.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 08/21/2018 5:13:39 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  11:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Progress is good. I don't have a lot of experience with layout design giving priority to structures, so that's interesting to watch. But for me (and I understand Rule 1), a layout's realism is the sum of landforms, watercourses, plants, trees, human habitation and human economic activity (structures, roads, railroads etc.). So I advocate railroad facilities in proportion to human population and activities (I'm trying to talk Dave into a freight house/public delivery of some size for his big city on and around the peninsula).

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  12:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another set of eyes is a good thing! Hopefully he saved you a lot of trouble.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  5:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Twice over! One to avoid problems with the track, and the other to learn from observing, rather than learning from experience :-)

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  5:44:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

quote:

Twice over! One to avoid problems with the track, and the other to learn from observing, rather than learning from experience :-)

dave

Aye, Experience can be a harsh and merciless teacher.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2018 :  7:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turnouts and flextrack preparation almost complete. I have to paint rail on 4 3/4 pieces of flextrack (I got 1 side of one rail done on a piece before deciding to stop for the night.) That's not including the 3 ME turnouts that came today from Crusader Rail, those turnouts go on sidings and places where I haven't put the homabed yet.

I start my first college course in 35 years tomorrow, a geology course at UNH. Lecture and Lab on Mondays, so that'll put a little dent in the modeling.

Looking ahead, once I glue (caulk) the track down, I'll install a pair of Tam Valley SwitchWright switch machine & controller (servo machines, including frog switching). If I like those, I'll probably do the rest of the layout with them. They're not cheap, but they have all the features I want. Walthers has a similar product, but Walthers IT isn't smart enough to produce a manual for their product line that I can read on a Mac (I will NOT put Adobe Acrobat on any of my machines, it's too much of a risk. MacOS Preview reads PDFs, but not quite the same way as Acrobat. What is it about Milwaukee companies and their IT departments? This is similar to the Kalmbach MR DVD that stopped working a year after I bought it, because they used some obsolete 3rd party junk software to encrypt the PDFs.)

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  7:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tracklaying continues. I'm using a lot of clamps, in part to make sure I work out any kinks and to hold the track in place until the caulk dries. The serrated mastic spreader I got works great, although I still get some caulk squeeze-through.

The general approach is to test-fit, caulk and then clamp turnouts in place, making sure the throwbar is over the hole for the switch machine. Then I go back and refit the flextrack. Deep throat clamps (cheap at Harbor Freight) are really helpful to hold the passing sidings in place.

I've glued in place all the track in the train room that I've previously cut. I need to do the spur off to the small yard (which includes removing the narrow gauge area and then bending over to work on that tight location), the small yard itself, and the "near wall" in the train room that leads to the drop gate and the big yard. That last bit of work will require cutting more track, and then building a pair of single crossovers.

I'll be very glad when this is over!

dave

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  11:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Dave. Keep at it!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Rebuilding my T&P layout HO scale Topic Next Topic: Cork Roadbed Thickness  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000