Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Mt. Willard section house. Topic Next Topic: Scenery Challenge, camouflage opening
Page: of 34

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  05:16:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your track looks fantastic. I love what you have done with it. All that effort pays off, although I understand what you mean about losing motivation, especially when it seems like you have a lot of space to fill!

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  8:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still more trackwork. The long spur to the mill district is not complete (on the right.) I'll need to attach the blocks for the turnouts on that. But it's pretty much all straight track.

More important is to get the main line in to the small yard, that branches off from the turnout in the center of the photo and curves behind the large clamp on the right.

In the mean time, I need to prep more flexltrack (straight pieces, I'm pretty much done with the curves.) I'll also need a couple more pieces of homabed to do the passing sidings, and I'll have to install the turnout going to the refinery (from the passing siding on the far right wall of the plan.)

I'm also waiting for more rail joiners. I got two packages off eBay about 10 days ago, the post office seems to be sending this via the slow route. (I have the tracking info, so I can't blame the seller.)

Progress is slow, but at least the basement is nice and cool.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 07/02/2018 8:09:27 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  5:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This area has the most complex trackage, with several curved turnouts. Eventually there'll be a standard gauge/narrow gauge crossing, too.

The standard gauge track is in place.

You can see a piece of HOn30 track to the left of where the crossing will be.

I'm now out of homabed. But there are plenty of things to do while waiting for that to arrive. (Last time, it took 6 weeks!) In particular, I can start on switch machines. I want to do one or two switch machines before I permanently affix the track to the roadbed.

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  6:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That really looks good Dave. What are your plans for scenery on this corner?

It's only make-believe

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  6:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
Your attention to laying track and seeming like you know how to do everything from start to finish is impressive. It appears like a very huge layout, into two rooms? It would take me more than a couple of years to scenic all that landscape.
Rich

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  8:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The square to the right of the bottom photo is for a turntable. Not much scenery in this area, it'll be mostly yard and industrial. Behind, in the open space, I want to do some more HOn30 stuff (mostly non-operational).

My big challenge is that corner that's so close to the track, not sure what I'll do there.

dave

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  5:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Dave, I haven't checked in for a while but you have gotten a lot done. Looks really nice.

Mark

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  5:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ditto to what Mark said. Really great progress - exciting!

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  6:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I like the sweeping curves you have achieved with the spline. Itís going to be wonderful seeing trains run across your layout, Iím sure.

The corner? Youíll probably have enough interesting scenes to draw the eye that it wonít be all that noticeable.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  10:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I like about splines is they provide natural easements, which should help operations and make things look better.

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2018 :  8:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I was kinda burned out for a couple of those hot days last week, so I just sat around and read (historical mysteries.) But Friday I ran the last bit of spline for the main line, and then sanded level the spline on that new stuff and the back line for the HOn30 section. Then, since I was basically done with the sawdust making, today I cleaned up the train room, and took inventory on track supplies.

I ordered more homabed Friday, and more track today. (Crusader Rail has great prices and service on Micro Engineering track.). There's stuff I can do while waiting for the next batch of supplies to come in, I need to work up a punchlist of projects. I also ordered a second SwitchWright from Tam Valley, and I'll try them on one passing siding. If they work (and no reason to think they won't), I'll use those at least for all the turnouts on the main line.

dave

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2018 :  12:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave what are you using for the 'scenery apron'??

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2018 :  10:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Cheap 'broadcloth' I got at a fabric store. The primary consideration (after price) is a fine tight weave, so the cloth's pattern doesn't show through if the scenery top-coat is too thin.

dave

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2018 :  7:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Cheap 'broadcloth' I got at a fabric store. The primary consideration (after price) is a fine tight weave, so the cloth's pattern doesn't show through if the scenery top-coat is too thin.

dave

Thanks I'll have to try that. Something new to me.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2018 :  5:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A productive day today, but nothing to show for it. I built another curved turnout, and finished (gapped) a couple other turnouts I built earlier. Then I started doing detailed layout for the small yard. So that's a couple items checked off the punchlist.

dave

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Mt. Willard section house. Topic Next Topic: Scenery Challenge, camouflage opening  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000