Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 144 ]  [ Total: 146 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rebuilding my T&P layout HO scale Topic Next Topic: Cork Roadbed Thickness
Page: of 22

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  2:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used them at the 3D printer factory and they are much cleaner and faster than screw terminals.

Jim

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  3:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don’t think Macy’s has Wago connectors. Too bad.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  7:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting ready for the next major phase of construction, which is laying track and roadbed. I mention that order, because I figure I need to set down the track, particularly the yard ladder for the small yard, get the curves laid and probably solder some stuff together, to set the center line for the Homabed. So I've been experimenting with how I'll finish the track, since I figure I want to at least start the painting before I start man-handling the track.

Current thinking is to first nip off the ends of every 2 or 3 ties, to get them uneven, and then cut the web underneath the rail for most of the ties (leaving some intact to help keep things in gauge.) Together, these make a surprising difference getting flextrack to look more like 19th century trackwork. I have one piece of ME Code 70 that I started tonight. Part of this is to see if I'll stick with my light grey gesso ("Bob Ross" brand :-) ) or if I try to find a flat light grey spray primer. (Depends on how well the gesso survives being handled.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 06/09/2018 7:48:05 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  12:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's what I'm doing to the flextrack.

1. I randomly cut the ends of every 3rd or so tie.
2. I flip the track over and cut most of the web underneath the rail. This allows me to lightly skew the ties and make them look more random. The pieces with that web intact keep the rail in gauge.
3. I prime with a light grey, in this case "Bob Ross" artist gesso (40% off coupon at Michaels craft store). (Left side of the photo)
4. When that's dry, I drybrush craft store Burnt Umber. First I do the tie ends. Then I go do the tie 'middles' between the rails. I mostly run the brush with the tie grain, and any dark brown that shows through is a "feature" that emphasizes the wood grain. (Right side of the photo.)
5. Then I turn the track on its side and make sure the tie ends are mostly Burnt Umber (they're not weathered/bleached wood like the tie tops.)
6. Finally (not done yet), I paint the rail.

You can see the WD-40 pen I use to coat the top of the rails before painting. When using all acrylics, this isn't as necessary. But if I use a spray primer, it'll make it much easier to remove the solvent paint from the top of the rails.

This does take some time, but I think the results are worth it. Most of the track on the layout will be at the front edge, so it'll be visible. And it's A Lot easier to nip the ends of ME code 70 flextrack than PECO code 70 (which has much thicker ties.)

dave

Edited by - deemery on 06/10/2018 12:44:13 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  1:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Dave, like you hand laid it.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  3:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Oh oh! Sort of scary. I think I am channeling Dave Emery. Yesterday I spent most of my hobby time painting track for the first time in months.

Really improves track, doesn’t it?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  5:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Dave,

Oh oh! Sort of scary. I think I am channeling Dave Emery. Yesterday I spent most of my hobby time painting track for the first time in months.

Really improves track, doesn’t it?

Mike

I'm OK if you're channeling me, if I can then channel you when I start my geology courses this fall

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  8:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It’s a deal.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  5:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a dozen pieces of flextrack trimmed and painted. There's a piece of 'stock' track between 2 of the prepared pieces.

I have another dozen to do (code 70), but at least I have enough to start laying track.

update Well, I tried to form some painted flextrack, and it's harder than I expected. That's not surprising, the tolerances on ME flex are pretty tight, and the paint interferes with smooth bending. So I think I'll cut & trim, then pre-bend a bunch of the next dozen pieces, before painting.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 06/12/2018 7:14:35 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  7:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good so far Dave. A great idea on to weather the track.

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  8:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, tolerances for ME track are close and the little “spikes” are very small. The only pieces of ME track I can paint on the bench are either straight or turnouts.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  8:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a piece of flextrack, clipped the end of the ties, then formed it into my min-radius circle using 2 sets of FastTracks Sweepsticks (28", in my case.) I flipped the track over and -carefully- cut away the web connecting the ties. leaving more sections of connected ties than with the straight sections. Then I flipped this back over, with the Sweepsticks still in place, I painted the outside ties. I let the paint dry then removed the Sweepsticks. As expected, the combination of bending the rail and then painting it keeps the track in the curve alignment. I need to figure out how many pieces of flextrack I need to do in curves, and do each this way. It'll take longer, but I think it'll be a timesaver in the long run when actually laying the track.

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/16/2018 :  7:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a dozen pieces of straight flextrack, and 10 pieces of 'pre-curved' flextrack trimmed and painted. I need to prep a couple turnouts the same way, including at least one FastTracks curved turnout, and then I can start laying track.

dave

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/16/2018 :  11:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The extra effort you are taking will pay off in the end. So far, that looks awesome! I too used the Micro Engineering track on my layout and unpainted, it is very difficult to flex, so I can only imagine it is even more difficult with a coat of paint.

One lesson I learned is to hold the track on a flat surface while trying to bend it, otherwise you run the risk of the rail popping out of the spikes! Ask me how I learned that lesson!

Mark

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  4:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like feedback on the rail color. Is it too red?

The Floquil "Rail Brown" color is definitely not this red, it's almost a dark buff color.

dave

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Rebuilding my T&P layout HO scale Topic Next Topic: Cork Roadbed Thickness  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000