Railroad Line Forums - USFS-Crew Cabin-Build Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 46 ]  [ Total: 50 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 USFS-Crew Cabin-Build Thread
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Why do you scratch build Topic Next Topic: Learning to scratchbuild (a beginners attempt)  

KomodoTurkey
New Hire

Posted - 04/08/2018 :  5:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edited title.

Edited by - KomodoTurkey on 04/10/2018 9:32:55 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2018 :  6:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you havenít already, check out Tichy for styrene window castings: https://www.tichytraingroup.com

Making your own is possible in most scales. It helps to start with a jig.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/08/2018 :  7:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Grandt Line also produces some nice windows, but the owner, cliff has announced his retirement. So anything you want from them should be ordered immediately.

Yes, you could make your own window. Yes, you could also pull your own teeth.

Look under the architectural heading.

http://www.grandtline.com/

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

KomodoTurkey
New Hire

Posted - 04/08/2018 :  7:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

If you havenít already, check out Tichy for styrene window castings: https://www.tichytraingroup.com

Making your own is possible in most scales. It helps to start with a jig.

Mike

I've checked Tichy's offerings, but they don't offer a 9 pane (3 across, 3 rows, rectangular) measuring the size I need. And the hard part is..It's a weird window. I myself, haven't seen a type like it.

Now for the jig route, would it be a path of taking the measurements then placing them down?

The way I'd think is to take the measurements and make the jig from scrap/off cuts of styrene.

And the measurements are a bit janky, in my opinion. I'll have to look around more.

EDIT/FOOTNOTE-I'm also struggling to find doors...Can you build a door? Like layering or?

Edited by - KomodoTurkey on 04/08/2018 7:55:48 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2018 :  11:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brendan,

Sometimes itís possible to modify a casting to get what you need. If you do scratchbuild your windows, and if you use styrene, you want to make the jig from wood so that the plastic cement does not glue your window to the jig. The purpose of a jig is to keep the parts in alignment as you construct the window.

I make my own windows only when left with no choice, but it is a useful skill to learn. Doors are a lot easier in general and Iíve built many. Yes, you layer to get the recessed panels between styles etc.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  05:56:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello, I always make my own windows. Carefully make one and then make a rubber mold and then cast
all you need from resin.
What scale are you working in?

Cheers,

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

KomodoTurkey
New Hire

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  08:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'll be in HO. I've strayed from trains to vehicles. Mostly wildland fire engines and equipment for now. I'll be putting the build thread on here too. So, I'll look into finding a close, but no cigar window modification approach, and then the jig approach. I guess a smart thing to do would be to make a paper mockup, see how it looks. Maybe fix my scenery, got some hard lines from the plaster cloth, going to need to fix those with some plaster to smooth.

I'll get to work with the whole pictures thing. Going to be interesting, turning a plan from 1938 into a model, with no bill of materials, and guessing on what'll be needed by taking measurements and staring at it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. And if you do fix it, keep it simple, stupid.

KomodoTurkey
New Hire

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  9:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I'm going to go ahead, and order up the styrene. I'll cut the window shapes out, and then eventually make those from scratch.
Again, this will be a build thread.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  9:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was unable to access the drawing from the website address you provided. Could you post a picture of a window youíre trying to replicate? What are their dimensions?

Mike

KomodoTurkey
New Hire

Posted - 04/11/2018 :  08:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

I was unable to access the drawing from the website address you provided. Could you post a picture of a window youíre trying to replicate? What are their dimensions?

Mike

Yeah, I can try. It's a little large, 53 feet by 23-6.

Download Attachment: CabinBlue1.jpg
140.76†KB

Download Attachment:
CabinBlue2.jpg

124.44†KB

It's a big structure...In real life. Those aren't scaled properly. I could try some things, but I don't think they'd end very well. It'll be fun making something from 1938, and I am modifying it. From shake shingle roofing and siding, to clapboard and metal roofing. Due to the fact, the 'Supe of the division gave me the go ahead for a modernization project.

Edited by - KomodoTurkey on 04/11/2018 08:46:33 AM

KomodoTurkey
New Hire

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  9:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man...This is hard when you're missing profiles of 2 sides. Kinda jumped head first into this project. I've got the base plate cut out...And that's about it. Trying to figure out how to print or make a mock up so I can visualize, and then trace exterior panels to fit...And I've been struggling with that for...4 hours now. Progress is slow on the site, but is making very very slow progression.

KomodoTurkey
New Hire

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  4:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update Shmupdate!
Ordered my roofing, interior paneling, and windows and doors.
I've compromised with myself, and denied myself total accuracy. I'll be mirroring both sides of the structure, so the front'll be the same as the back now. It's easier to do this rather than try tracking down the missing profiles.
Building has commenced.

Previous Topic: Why do you scratch build Topic Next Topic: Learning to scratchbuild (a beginners attempt)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000