Railroad Line Forums - Bar Mills 'The Backshop'
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: bmontgo ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Bar Mills 'The Backshop'
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Magoun Pier Topic Next Topic: o scale swsm oneills fabricating
Page: of 2

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  8:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last week I had another modeller give me Bar Mills 'Phineas Cutters sign shop' or 'The Backshop' Kit.

He decided that we should build it as The Backshop. I'll start construction in my next post

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  2:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The standard 'what's in the box' shot:

The kit includes the main structure, a framed shed that can either be under construction or falling down (depending on your preferences)a couple short section of fencing, a bag or castings and some signs and posters for the structure and fences.

I started with the front wall.

The front wall is made of three sections plus a fourth alternate that will make a storefront section if you want. The three sections can be arranged any way you want so I decided to put the sections with the large bay doors together with the man-door section on the side. The two side walls are also interchangeable.

The assembled front wall with 1/16" posts added. I also added the corner posts to the back wall as well.

I added the bracing to the backs of the walls since I'm going to stain the fronts to begin with. After the glue dried I sprayed the backs with gray primer.

I finished off the work session with staining to fronts of the walls with Mirco-mark's gray stain. When this dries fully I'll start painting.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  3:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks interesting Glen. I built one a while back and called it "Leno's Garage". Love to see what you do here.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  6:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tony.

I realized that I made a mistake with the front wall.

I had accidentally used the storefront wall (#9) instead of the alternate wall (#9a) If you are going to build the backshop version the #9a wall is for that. I was able to cut the wall apart and insert the right piece. I'm just waiting for the glue to set up before I stain the new section to match

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  09:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fixed and painted the front wall, along with the others

After the stain dried, I dry-brushed the walls with acrylic 'Vintage White'. Later I'll paint the lower 1/4 of the front wall in a light green.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  09:47:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm following too Glen..

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  2:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good save to a good start. I'm watching along too :)

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  2:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Glen,
I coming along too.

Jeff Betcher

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  09:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for following along guys.

I pulled out my airbrush and painted the green on the front wall

I kept the paint volume low so the lower paint and stain levels would show through a bit. I also painted the windows and door parts.

After that I started installing window and doors. Pretty straight forward, I had to do a bit of touch-up around the edges and I replaced the acetate that comes with the kit with a liquid glass called Gallery Glass.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  09:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Good recovery. I like the weathered look of the white and faded look of the green.

I think the structure would have many uses. In fact it would look great on our club layout. Hmm . . .

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  06:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike.
I finished off the front wall

all the doors and windows have the peel and stick adhesive on them. I still used a bit of aileen's tacky glue on them to make sure they stay put. I left the two larger doors off for now. They'll be positioned open later.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  9:21:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The green is a great color for this model, Glen. Coming along nicely.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  01:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pretty much finished the main building today. Starting with getting the walls up.

There's also a bit of trim to go at the top of the walls as well.

While I was at it I cut a sheet of styrene to serve as the floor. I'm leaving a couple doors open for interior detailing so I figure there should be something there. I sprayed it with Paver's Gray from Krylon, a nice light concrete color.

I sprayed the tarpaper roofing with Krylon gray primer. The roof has an access hatch included with a surround and hatch.

I glued the roof and the front open doors on. I still have to add the door handles.

The one side comes with a sliding door. I positioned this open as well.

I left the roof access hatch off to the side and left a ladder sticking out of the opening. There are two of these ladders included in the details.

Finally I assembled and painted the small framed shed. I painted it in light gray with an A&I wash. I also primered all of the cast metal details so I can start had painting all of them.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  07:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Glen.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  08:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is looking good. I'll be following along too Glen. Looks like you've got a good handle on this build so far.

Rich

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  11:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are doing a fantastic job on this build.
Keep it up!!.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Magoun Pier Topic Next Topic: o scale swsm oneills fabricating  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000