Railroad Line Forums - Corps of Canadian Railway Troops Europe 1918
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Corps of Canadian Railway Troops Europe 1918
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 25 Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout
Page: of 23

MarcusF
Section Hand

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  10:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the evidence suggests it was more likely the Australians on the ground who fired the killing shot.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/ww1-anniversary/red-baron-debate-flies-again-at-memorial/news-story/bee829ed05f762243f945d6b12735585

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  11:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This Time Team video might help with dirt/mud color.

https://youtu.be/usncav3TcPo

If this link does not work just type "time team Somme" in a YouTube search.

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

John Coates
New Hire

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  12:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Marcus but recent evidence suggests that it was a Canadian Antiaircraft battery that did the damage. He was engaged in a dogfight with two Sopworth Camels when his plane was put out of action by one of them. Coming in for a controlled crash landing he passed over a Canadian Antiaircraft battery and a single shot fired the killing blow. History puts it down to the Canadians.
Anyway this is getting away from what Larry wants for his layout so I will shut up.

John

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  5:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John as I said in an earlier post, everyone has rewritten, WW1 history. Who really knows the truth? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Brown_ RAF_officer With all the current 100 year celebration it's once again being rewritten. Does it really matter?
But as you pointed out, there's is a lot of evidence that the British officers were incompetent. Ask most Australians who was responsible for the Gallipoli? Churchill. The war 'hero' was one of those who was out of touch. Same can be said by Australian's about WW11.
But this is a choo choo forum and we are getting off topic!

bruce

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  8:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NVNGRR

This Time Team video might help with dirt/mud color.

https://youtu.be/usncav3TcPo

If this link does not work just type "time team Somme" in a YouTube search.

Kevin,
Thanks for the link. If you are following along it is an interesting watch. Around minute 43-44 they show used railway line cut to size to support the underground living quarters.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

MarcusF
Section Hand

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  8:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
Fair enough. When I was a kid, it was all about Roy Brown, the Canadian, who saved his buddy Wop May and shot down the Baron. A couple of years ago the evidence was von Richthoven was brought down by ground fire, and the evidence suggested Australians. I'm not enough of a student of WWI history to dispute your claim, but I'm Canadian enough to say, OK! If it puts us back in the limelight, I'm good. ;)
As an aside, my grandfather was a Sergant Major in WWI, and as one of the "Old Contemptibles", didn't have much good to say about the leadership either.
Now, as you say, let's get back to some superb modelling!

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  11:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's a link that may have some interesting info. https://sites.google.com/site/archoevidence/home/ww1-victorian-railways-unit

Scroll down for a couple of videos.

bruce

Edited by - brucet on 04/13/2018 11:55:44 PM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  8:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was still stuck in the Mud until today.
I went to Home Deport to find sanded grout in a color close enough. I then dragged the bag over to the paint department to try to do a color match. The plan was to mix the paint and grout to apply as mud.

I have them just about ready to start mixing the can of paint then I turn around and I see a product to paint decks that leaves a rough surface for grip. I yell wait.....

Here is the color / texture sample.

I bought can to see how it will all work out.

It sure looks promising.

My current build:

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  2:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, looks good. Remember wet mud is darker than dry mud, so there is probably not a perfect colour.
Cheers,
dave

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  6:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could be very cruesome and colour it with red. just as many of the battlefields were!!
Remember the ground was all churned up. Could be any colour and be believable.

bruce

John Coates
New Hire

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  05:35:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, I passed a ploughed field last Sunday that is on chalk, unfortunately I did not have the camera with me. Going pass that way this Sunday so I will remember to take the camera and if I can find a suitable place to stop I will get a photo. That should give you the right colours.

John

PS Still nagging Adrian to pull his finger out.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2018 :  7:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Coates

Larry, I passed a ploughed field last Sunday that is on chalk, unfortunately I did not have the camera with me. Going pass that way this Sunday so I will remember to take the camera and if I can find a suitable place to stop I will get a photo. That should give you the right colours.

John

PS Still nagging Adrian to pull his finger out.

John,
Thanks for staying on this for me. I would be happy to take partial order as I have an 11/11 deadline to finish the first 10 feet of the layout.

My current build:

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2018 :  7:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all following along.

Elwood Blues came over to help the cause today.

So far all the pictures of the layout have been mock ups on a cleared space on my TML RR.

This weekend we make some progress on a 5 foot module that will make up 25% of the final show layout.

We glued and carved foam for the terrain, put down a first coat of the Deck paint. I think the paint will work for mud. Built a fast tracks #4 switch, set ties in the mud paint to see if it would act as glue, put few test plants in the paint to test adhesion.

I also build and put a first coat of paint on two more 6" guns. They are now in the paint shop for camoflage.

I also teated putting the deck paint on wheels and it works. There will be mud everwhere as I bought a gallon of the stuff.

To the right of the guns I plan to model this.

This is the space the YMCA will go in.

So much work to do; scenery, mud, figures, rolling stock, 1000's of sandbags and other details.

My current build:

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2018 :  9:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that picture of the Highlanders in their kilts and shudder. Having been in the Black Watch, I can only imagine what it was like to have a kilt in a muddy battlefield. They were provided a kind of "over-kilt" to keep their kilt from getting too dirty....really!!?
Larry, your layout is looking good. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.
Cheers,
Dave

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  11:01:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I was stationed in France in the mid-60s we had a USO on base. I still remember how hot looking the director was.

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 25 Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000