Railroad Line Forums - Corps of Canadian Railway Troops Europe 1918
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 216 ]  [ Total: 219 ]  [ Newest Member: Dragonborn ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Corps of Canadian Railway Troops Europe 1918
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 annual Topic Next Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch
Page: of 64

Yannis
Section Hand

Posted - 12/05/2020 :  06:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following with interest here! I really enjoy those modifications and kitbashes.
Lars do you have any Eduard kits (1/48)? If I am not mistaken they used to have some RFC ground crew figures.
Biplanes etc are very nice... but as you said too little time... i have stacks of 1/48 aircraft(WW2 & Nam era) but trains are a priority :).

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/05/2020 :  09:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks George, Jerry Rick and Frank.

Jerry,
I'm not sure it is me keeping it interesting or the findings from my research that keep it interesting.

Frank,
I have every known book on the topic and Search museum sites on the internet

George, Funny guy.

quote:
Originally posted by Yannis

Following with interest here! I really enjoy those modifications and kitbashes.
Lars do you have any Eduard kits (1/48)? If I am not mistaken they used to have some RFC ground crew figures.
Biplanes etc are very nice... but as you said too little time... i have stacks of 1/48 aircraft(WW2 & Nam era) but trains are a priority :).

Thanks Yannis, I do have the Edwuard figure kits. They will be painted soon. I also have a number of plane kits waiting safely in boxes. I have been following a site that specializes in damaged, downed aircraft models. When I think I have learned enough from them the attack of those kits will begin.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2020 :  6:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting a new project that will take some time to acquire the parts. I have leads for what I need. The hunt is on!
It is a Generator car that is part of a 6 car work train. There were five of these work trains in France in WW1

Edited by - BigLars on 12/16/2020 7:14:52 PM

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 12/16/2020 :  7:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, every time I check in to see your amazing work being done here, I'm blown away!
Those generator cars look like another fantastic project to add to your growing collection.

Greg Shinnie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2020 :  9:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, your new project has definitely generated a lot of interest in me to follow along.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2020 :  11:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That car is going to be very interesting to watch come together. The work train was basically a machine shop on wheels.

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  10:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a fantastic challenge. Good luck! ~mike

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  10:14:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool beans! Are you also planning the rest of the illustrated cars?

Philip

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  11:13:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Philip, Mike, Mike, Bill and Greg

quote:
Originally posted by Philip

Cool beans! Are you also planning the rest of the illustrated cars?

Philip

If all goes well I would like to model two complete trains. First one all closed up and running down the tracks. The second one opened up and fully detailed including crew. As always my ambition level is high but time is short.

p51
Section Hand

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  3:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder how these generator cars tracked? The standard boxcars were reviled by the railroaders as they derailed all the time.
Can't wait to see your progress here.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  5:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by p51

I wonder how these generator cars tracked? The standard boxcars were reviled by the railroaders as they derailed all the time.
Can't wait to see your progress here.

The British box cars / ambulance cars were a little longer. These are on a class D frame so I imagine if the weight was kept low on the wagon like the floor then ok. But I have no evidence either way. I do not know much about the American box cars used by the US or French.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  7:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I'm surprised that little motor could power all that generator equipment.

Frank

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  7:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

I'm surprised that little motor could power all that generator equipment.

There is a motor at both ends. I have not found any specs on the motors or Generators yet. The Simplex locomotives they used were powered by 20 or 40 HP petrol engines. Not sure if these would have been the same.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  8:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The top left diagram in your last photo shows both generators and the electrically driven air compressor between them. I'd guess riveting was a major job.

James

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  9:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

The top left diagram in your last photo shows both generators and the electrically driven air compressor between them. I'd guess riveting was a major job.

Still not sure exactly what they did with these trains other than they were a rolling shops. Hopefully someone will help me figure it out. There were a large number of rivets used in the rolling stock and Tanks I have seen.

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: On30 annual Topic Next Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000