Railroad Line Forums - Larena's Railroad Hotel
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Larena's Railroad Hotel
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Avrams Bakery FSM JS-10 Topic Next Topic: Ships Chandler & Foss Landing Final Pics(Updated)
Page: of 2

Adamantish
New Hire

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  10:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. I intend to build this kit as my first craftsman kit. It doesn't look too complicated from a construction standpoint. I went to a local train show this past weekend looking for some kits under $20 and picked up this Muir Models kit. I have no idea how old it is. 1980? 1970? I did a quick box check before I bought it and all of the major wall pieces were still in a sealed bag. Somehow, I neglected to notice the instructions are missing. Oops. I don't suppose anyone has this kit in their collection, or maybe you've built it, and could share some photos of the instructions or completed kit? I think I can build it with or without the instruction but I'm sure they'd be helpful.

One of the reasons I think it's buildable without the instructions, all the walls, windows and door openings are pre-scribed. The biggest challenge will be figuring out where the small bundle of strip wood goes. I got all of the walls cut out yesterday.

I'm thinking about mocking up a dormer on the front left, and maybe 2 on the back. If this is a hotel it seems like it should have more usable space on the second floor.

I'll post more photos as I move it along.

Adam Coffman

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  11:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One trick from the old Campbell kit instructions: To prevent the wood from splitting, put masking tape on the back before you finish cutting out the door and window openings.

And I'd photocopy the pieces before you cut them out. You can use those as templates to cut the wood. Most of that stripwood looks like it's for under-eave trim.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 03/12/2018 11:29:19 AM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  1:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you contact Campbell, they may have the instructions and will send them to you. They have done that in the past'..Looks like a great kit'..

Adamantish
New Hire

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  3:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a quick inventory of the included strip wood at lunch. Sizes are approximate and measured with an HO ruler.
From left to right:
17 2x4 12'long
1 1.5x2 28' long
20 3x5 28' long
4 2.5x3.5 28' long
5 4x6 28' long

And where I think some of it should be used.

Adam Coffman

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  3:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Adam,

Why do instructions so often become separated from kits? Anyway, there is at least one site that posts scans of old kit instructions. The one I found (http://www.hoseeker.org/) unfortunately does not seem to have the one you need.

On the other hand, you have sort of an interesting puzzle there.

Your idea to add to the second floor makes a lot of sense. In any case it looks more like a bed and breakfast than a hotel to me.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  7:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice find! I'll have to see if I can find one for myself. I like the looks of it. Muir kits can't be much fun without instructions.

Might I suggest putting this kit aside until you gain some experience? The instructions may appear in the mean time.

Good luck!

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

Edited by - Railrunner130 on 03/12/2018 7:56:40 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  08:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Railrunner130

Nice find! I'll have to see if I can find one for myself. I like the looks of it. Muir kits can't be much fun without instructions.

Might I suggest putting this kit aside until you gain some experience? The instructions may appear in the mean time.

Good luck!

I agree. Put this one aside, buy a small Campbell kit (with the instructions), and build that one first. The techniques from Campbell kits apply here, too, and the Campbell instructions are first-rate!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  09:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Adam,

From what Iíve read the instructions for Muir kits were not very good. The kits have been described as only one step above scratchbuilding. Maybe youíre not missing much.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 03/13/2018 09:45:51 AM

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  10:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Adam,

From what Iíve read the instructions for Muir kits were not very good. The kits have been described as only one step above scratchbuilding. Maybe youíre not missing much.

Mike

Those are the best kinds of craftsmen kits!

Good luck with the build. Remember - BRACE EVERYTHING!

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  12:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adam,
Welcome to the forums and it looks like you are in deep now! This kit looks great and I have never seen it before.
The tips the other members have given are all good and if I were you, remember to use rubber bands to see where adjustments need to be made before gluing anything together. If you are adding the clock, a nice feature would be to use a small real watch if you can find one near HO scale. Good luck with your build. I will be following along.
Rich

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  1:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Adam,

Why do instructions so often become separated from kits? Anyway, there is at least one site that posts scans of old kit instructions. The one I found (http://www.hoseeker.org/) unfortunately does not seem to have the one you need.

On the other hand, you have sort of an interesting puzzle there.

Your idea to add to the second floor makes a lot of sense. In any case it looks more like a bed and breakfast than a hotel to me.

Mike

Mike, that sure is a wealth of information on that web site. Great find for HO information'.

Adamantish
New Hire

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  2:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the words of advice everyone. I'll be sure to brace all the walls and triple check that they're all matched up and square before any glue comes near them. I'm not above admitting my ambition may exceed my abilities, and if I get into this kit and feel like I'm going to ruin it, I'll pause. I have a scratch build project going on that I intend to finish before I dive into this one. Maybe in the meantime the instructions will appear. If not, I'll use this kit's pieces to make it a "scratch-bash" kinda project.

Ted mentioned contacting Campbell's. I thought maybe they had acquired the Muir kit rights, but I got a response today and they don't have access to any of them. So that's a dead end.

Rich, the white metal clock supplied with this kit is pretty crude. I'd already thought about looking for a small watch, or just omitting it from the final model. I'll probably end up replacing a lot of the metal parts. Some of them seem too thick to me, like the bench you can see at the front right corner. It looks more like a heavy concrete bench than a wood one. The doors and some of the gable trim pieces are also missing.

I'm starting to look at this kit as a challenge, in the good sense. It reminds me of projects we'd get back in college when we'd be given a pile of materials and have to come up with a building design with them. Could be fun!

Adam Coffman

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/16/2018 :  8:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the dimensions of the end piece and the clock tower end? I'm considering scratch building one, or something similar. I can fudge the rest.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

Adamantish
New Hire

Posted - 03/19/2018 :  6:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The end piece and the tower are one piece. Are these the pieces you'd like measurements for?

Adam Coffman

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/19/2018 :  8:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes please. I didn't realize they were one piece. With the dimensions of the right piece I can extrapolate the rest. Thanks!

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

Adamantish
New Hire

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  1:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here ya go. Hope this helps.

Adam Coffman

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Avrams Bakery FSM JS-10 Topic Next Topic: Ships Chandler & Foss Landing Final Pics(Updated)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.4 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000