Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2018 :  10:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike we're going to add Lake Erie water. This is a small port near Cleveland, OH.

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 06/04/2018 :  10:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, indeed. Inspired by the Cleveland Flats Railway. We are thinking a car float as well.

Jim

Tim Godfrey
Section Hand

Posted - 06/04/2018 :  11:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tim Godfrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That car ferry sure needs a docking facility!!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2018 :  7:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I felt a car float was in order for the layout instead of a trestle type wharf. So I began one yesterday. Im using a piece of 2 foam as the basis of my construction. It will be a small one for sure but in model railroading compression rules. It just has to be credible looking. It will hold 3 - 50 railcars.

Today I refined the foam block by running it through the table saw to true up the edges. Now Im going to wrap it with 1/8 Sintra plastic. So far I have the bow, stern and the port side done. Im using non-foaming Gorilla glue which takes 2 hours to set up so progress is very slow by my standards.

I still havent figured out how to mount the rail to the barge. So Im still pondering that phase.

I write the time on the tape so I'm not tempted to peel off the tape too soon. I'm not to be trusted.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/04/2018 7:10:45 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2018 :  7:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank nice start. Looking forward to more progress.

Just stay away from the beach!

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2018 :  9:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so copying this!
Cheers,
Dave

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2018 :  06:23:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we're going to add Lake Erie water

I grew up next to Lake Erie- I'll be watching closely for errors!

1/8 Sintra plastic.

Who is your source for the Sintra?

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2018 :  08:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry, you just keep watching. No way Im going to the beach its too hot there.

David, dont look too close youll find my errors.

Carl, give us some slack on the water. Ive never seen Lake Erie water. Dave buys the black Sintra and I buy it in white, I don't know if they have other colors.

Heres the Sintra supplier:
Laird Plastics
8320 Adamo Dr.
Tampa, FL 33619
813-319-1000
www.lairdplastics.com

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/05/2018 08:58:39 AM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2018 :  4:58:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool Frank', I would love to see more video navigating those
switches'..Sure looks like you are having fun, now that all the really hard work is finished'...Really looking very good Frank and Company'..

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  1:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks great guys!
Somehow I missed seeing this and just got caught up.
A belated welcome to the forum, Jim!

Jeff Betcher

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  2:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank. the car float is a nice idea for operations. We have one on our club layout and it can receive or deliver any kind of car. You don't need to define the industry.

I'm interested in learning more about Sintra plastic. Why did you use it rather than the more conventional styrene?

George

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  10:43:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted, Ill make sure Jim does his video thing on Saturday. I hope we dont stall on the switch and keep going with the construction.

Jeff, thanks.

George, I'm looking to have similar fun with this one.

I started using Sintra over 20 years ago. I went to a Florida Garden Railroad convention in Orlando and one of the Disney Imagineers was giving a clinic on outdoor building construction. He was touting the good features of Sintra. You can use PVC cement or CA and it cuts easily with a knife. It doesnt melt like styrene when you cut it with a power saw. It comes in 4 x 8 sheets; I buy the 1/8 thick verity.

This is what the web site states: lightweight yet rigid board of moderately expanded closed-cell polyvinyl chloride (PVC) extruded with a low gloss matte finish, rigid and durable.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/07/2018 11:33:05 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  11:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Ive finished the rough out of the car float. Im experimenting with track plans. I made a RT switch track plan and later today Ill make a Y switch. I dont remember what method will work best on the layout.

The float will hold 2 - 50 cars and 2 - 40 cars. Thats pretty good for the size of the float.

I saw a switching program for unloading floats yesterday. In this case you hook up to one of the 50s back out and come back for the 2 40s then come back for the other 50. That way the float doesnt capsize.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  12:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank, I don't know how I missed this thread until now but I just spent a lazy morning enjoying it. I really enjoyed the Ford method of turnout building. I would be nice if someone could make a commercial version of that tie cutting jig in HO. I found the car float building method interesting too. I wonder if it would work for a lumber schooner?

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  2:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Bob, good to see you. If anyone could make the foam work it would be you.

Hopefully we can use a LT or RT switch since the Y causes both tracks to merge instead of just one. If we use the Y well have to go with 40 cars only, bummer.

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000