Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  7:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, they just don’t build ‘em like they used to.

Jerry, this week we’re having rain followed by more rain.

Daniel, sorry mate. If you want one I guess you’ll have to pay the heavy freight if they’ll mail outside US.

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  01:09:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, I'll stick with saving up for a 2 rail GP7/GP9 to convert into a CF7. :P

herronpeter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  1:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know there is a prototype 6 wheeled switcher being made today, in case you didn't know. Here is the manufacturers web page.

http://www.tractivepowercorp.com/

Peter

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  1:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Daniel, those CF models looked funky.

Peter, thanks for the tip. That’s a great idea using a 3 axeled truck to start with.

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  6:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, we got the first of the three modules wired up today, both turnouts and track-power buses. Here's a video link that shows Frank running the RS-1 through his turnout. Even though he is having some trouble with the bell, all ran beautifully! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk3uBSN9iDk

Jim

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  7:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man judging from that video you’d think I’d never run a train in my life. Jim’s throttle system wasn’t familiar to me and I’m sticking with that excuse.

On another note. After all the wiring Jim got ready to fire up the loco and . . . error-error-error. Aw come on. Now it’s trouble shooting time. We decided to start taking off the track leads to isolate the short. When the 3rd lead came off the loco started up.

Okay now we know which line was causing the problem. After re-cutting the PCB tie breaks for that turnout we still had the short. Dave suggested we test where the problem was coming from. We extended the lead and touched it to the rail until the short went away. It turned out one of the PCB ties from the next turnout wasn’t cut 100%. Problem solved. Toot-toot to happy motoring.

Obviously this picture was taken before we had all the track down.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 05/16/2018 7:09:16 PM

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2018 :  10:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the giant hand-bumper to stop the loco over-shooting into the abyss. Trust only goes so far! Exciting times!
Cheers,
Dave

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  4:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave you do what you gotta'do when things go haywire.

We worked the bugs out of each module as we wired them and got all 3 modules working today. All the buss wiring is in and all the many-many power drops are finished. The 14 Tortoise switch machines are connected and functioning. Testing is complete and trains are running although looking pretty bleak scenery wise.

After operating today it was decided that we need numbers on the turnouts and corresponding numbers on the control panels. it gets pretty hairy when the train goes rolling by.

I'd like to give Rob a special shout out for the track design, Thanks Rob.

Here’s a comparison for you. The O-Scale boxcar and the 1/6 scale boxcar in the background.

It feels good to be past the soldering phase on onto the detailing phase.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/02/2018 4:22:03 PM

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  4:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it was nice to see the fundamentals in place, finally, on the O Scale Switching Layout. It operates very well and the trackwork and wiring are very sound. When we build this out it will operate well, look great, and be fun.

Here is a short video clip of Frank navigating the turnouts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-B0Y8nVCG4

And, here a few late pics when we decided to just prop up some building fronts to get a feel for an operating layout.

Jim

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  6:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome Frank ... and it is starting to look great ... I can't wait to see the finished product.

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  7:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Jim

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2018 :  07:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2018 :  08:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since the Center is closed for the summer, you all can get a lot done on this module, right Frank?

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2018 :  09:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob, it’ll be interesting to see how long it takes to get to the finished product. We’re already of thinking of ways to wrangle more real estate out of Dave.

Mike, thanks for checking in.

Carl, that’s the plan.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2018 :  09:42:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank, the modules look very nice. The temporary buildings really help in picturing what it all will look like. Now you need to “just add water”.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000