Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

480Fan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  05:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quote "The 2Ē foam insulation isnít the most uniform 2Ē youíll ever see so we spent about an hour and a half sanding the cork roadbed level. We had some pretty big humps and valleys to correct."
I think this makes an argument for what I said about Homasote.

Tony in Tampa

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  08:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great so far.

I didn't realize the pink foam could be that way. I thought it was almost fool proof for using for the base.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  09:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the pink but I have used the blue for decades and have never had that problem. With the mess Homasote makes it will always be a non-starter for me.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  09:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Track looks great, Frank. I like the color for rail and ties.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  09:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony, homasoate would have been a viable material except we have a 10 life time supply of 2Ē gray insulation foam.

Jerry, weíve used the pink and blue on the Sundance Central and didnít have this problem. It was cut more precise.

Mike, I see both sides. In our case it was supply over demand.

Thanks Mike.

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 04/08/2018 :  8:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Folks, I am new on the forum and have been working with Frank for over 14 years now on the Sundance Central project. Speaking of projects, Frank will tell you this O Scale layout is my layout, but while I had the idea, Frank, Dave, and Tim have been more than happy to jump in make this thing a reality. I had the concept of a 70s industrial switching layout in my head along with an operational plan using switch lists that I have learned from becoming part of HO ops groups in the past two years. Frank has been the head engineer on the track plan, and of course, built all the turnouts. I have been helping along the way on the layout and when not working on it I have spending some time getting the O scale running stock weathered.

I have attached a few pictures here of an Atlas Covered Hopper and an Atlas Cylindrical Hopper. I am a big fan of the Weathering Shop www.theweatheringshop.com and use their methods and models for inspiration. The two hoppers were weathered using a variety of methods -- dullcoat, pan pastels, acrylics, oil, and chalk. I used Jeremy St. Peter's method from the TWS on the trucks. Also pictured here is the interior of a 50' Atlas boxcar where I worked to turn the black metal floor into "wood" using paints as well as painting the interior gray and adding some scrapes and weathering.

Jim

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 04/08/2018 :  8:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote

[data/Tampa Jim/201848204947_Cylindrical Hopper Outdoor 2.jpg/img]

Sorry to re-post this but I am still getting used to the interface for loading pictures.

Folks, I am new on the forum and have been working with Frank for over 14 years now on the Sundance Central project. Speaking of projects, Frank will tell you this O Scale layout is my layout, but while I had the idea, Frank, Dave, and Tim have been more than happy to jump in make this thing a reality. I had the concept of a 70s industrial switching layout in my head along with an operational plan using switch lists that I have learned from becoming part of HO ops groups in the past two years. Frank has been the head engineer on the track plan, and of course, built all the turnouts. I have been helping along the way on the layout and when not working on it I have spending some time getting the O scale running stock weathered.

I have attached a few pictures here of an Atlas Covered Hopper and an Atlas Cylindrical Hopper. I am a big fan of the Weathering Shop www.theweatheringshop.com and use their methods and models for inspiration. The two hoppers were weathered using a variety of methods -- dullcoat, pan pastels, acrylics, oil, and chalk. I used Jeremy St. Peter's method from the TWS on the trucks. Also pictured here is the interior of a 50' Atlas boxcar where I worked to turn the black metal floor into "wood" using paints as well as painting the interior gray and adding some scrapes and weathering.

[imgdata/Tampa Jim/201848205333_CNJ Boxcar Interior 1.jpg][data/Tampa Jim/201848205441_Cylindrical Hopper Outdoor2.jpg/img]

Jim

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  07:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim welcome to the forum. Your weathered cars are excellent.

Mike

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  08:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work Jim!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  09:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work Jim!

Mark

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  10:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A little more practice and you'll get the hang of it Jim. It's not the most picture friendly site but it works.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  10:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, welcome to the forum.
Nice work on those cars.

As you think, so will you be.

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  11:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you are yery welcome

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  1:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Guys, thanks for your comments. I hope to be posting more soon.

Jim

Jim

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  3:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim welcome to the forum. Looking forward to more of your work. Nice job on those cars.

To bad frank had to come along and do graffiti on the one!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000