Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: C430 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout Topic Next Topic: On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920s Haiti
Page: of 54

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  8:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

This is a superb project, looks great. It is farout !

Rich

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  07:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  09:05:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl, hey 3rd time is a charm.

Thank you Rick, Rich and Mike.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  5:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The distillery has been 86ed from my house.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  08:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say I'm not crazy about the signs on the tanks but other than that it's most excellent!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  09:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike. You and Rick had the same opinion on the signs. Sometimes I buck tradition.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  11:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes Frank you mean most of the time!!!

Looks great. What will be your next project??

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  12:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry, I'm going on track with the next project. Dave gave me an On30 Bachmann Whitcomb switcher to work on. He included a Backwoods modification kit. That's not going to be enough modifications. I almost pity the poor little thing.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/13/2019 12:55:32 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  4:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like an almost complete replacement of the switcher is in the works.

Meanwhile, you can drink to another fine project completed.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  12:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I finished the re-lettering and weathering on an Atlas O-Scale SW-8/9 in the last week. It is now a well-traveled, former GN unit purchased and badged for the Lakeshore Industrial Railroad. There is some rust on the locomotive at strategic locations, but my primary focus was fading the GN colors to make the unit appear as it has only been painted once in its long life. The cab roof and long hood surfaces as especially sun faded and also dusted to show the harsh conditions under which the locomotive operates.

You will also see on the close up pics of the sides I painted the fuel caps red and used AK Interactive Fuel Stains to show the spilled diesel fuel where appropriate.

For repainting, the sequence was:

1. I mixed my own version of GN Green using acrylics and covered over the reporting marks
2. Masked and painted yellow to allow the LSIR decals a light background for contrast
3. Masked and painted gloss coat to provide a good base for the decals I printed
4. Applied many coats of Solva Set to get those decals to lay down on all the louvers on the hood sides.

For weathering, the sequence was:

1.Initial coat of Krylon dead flat
2.Strategic rusting using Frankís diluted white glue mixed with powders applied with aquarium sponge material
3.Pan pastels for paint fading and grime
4.Transparent Orange Iron Oxide for streaking the rust spots
5.Sealed with dead flat.

Jim

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  4:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Jim.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  5:44:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Very effective faded and weathered paint job. Good job on giving your locomotive a history; modeling in 4D.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  08:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  09:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very well done.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  10:05:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Nice work. One question, what is "Dead Flat"?
A clear lacquer spray or Flat Matt?

Rich

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout Topic Next Topic: On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920s Haiti  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000