Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 125 ]  [ Newest Member: C430 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout Topic Next Topic: On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920s Haiti
Page: of 54

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  4:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The weathering is almost complete, the signs are hung buy the silo with care and we’re just waiting for the jolly old man in the red suit.

This is the side of the silo that goes against the mirror.

This is the rooftop sign that will need LEDs for lighting. It’s only held in place with tape right now. If you haven’t heard about the Cuyahoga River here’s a short synopsis. This is the reason for Old 69 and Vat 13.

“The Cuyahoga River was once one of the most polluted rivers in the United States as represented by the multitude of times it has caught fire, a recorded number of thirteen starting in 1868. The most potent blaze occurred in 1952 which caused over $1.3 million in damages however, the most fatal fire happened in 1912 with a documented five deaths. The 1969 fire, which did not incur maximum damages or fatally wound any citizen, was the most covered incident occurring on the river.”

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  5:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking so good. I like the rust affect on the top of the tank. You're going to add some support to that landing coming off the top of the tank aren't you?

It's only make-believe

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  5:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
amazing work on the staircase. i'm in awe.

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  6:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Once again you confirm your rust-meister qualifications. You’ve built a totally fascinating building.

And yes, the Cuyahoga River is notorious. Cleveland is in many ways a fine city these days.

Great slogan.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  07:16:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TANKS for posting the update, Frank. Like the backstory on the name.
The sign on the tank gave me pause for a minute. At first I read "Reversed" instead of "Reserved" and then remembered the mirror.
I can believe the landing and stairway can work as is, though the rooftop sign has me worried :)

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  07:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  08:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent rusting of course!

What are the paint colors you used on the top of the tank to create the effect.... oh Grand Master?

Thanks.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  11:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grand Master of rust. A new title for the man who does it all.

Great job Frank always a pleasure to follow your adventures!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  12:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks fantastic!
Cheers,
Dave

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  4:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, have no fear, I will add bracing to the hanging walkway.

Thank you Kevin I appreciate the comps.

Mike, thanks and the Cuyahoga is one of those model rivers today.

Bill, reversed is a possibility. I wouldn’t give the sign another thought. The blue tape will hold for a couple more hours.

Thanks Mike.

Thanks Carl. Here’s the skinny on the rust. The dark old rust is Vallejo Black Brown #70.822. The bright rust is dry brushed oil paints either Winsor & Newton Burnt Sienna or Graham Transparent Orange Iron Oxide. The “Halo” effect is with an almost dry brush and the darker streaks are with a not-so dry brush.

Thanks you Jerry, remember trust in rust.

David, thanks again.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  4:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a couple shots fresh off the phone from today's work session.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  4:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! That looks Sharp. The positioning of the mirror appears perfect. It reflexes the tank but not the rail car. very nicely done.

It's only make-believe

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  4:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, excellent job of engineering those spiral stairs and the painting and rusting of the tank.
The rust on the seams is especially good.
I hate to do this but I do have a negative comment.
I'm not really digging the sign on the tank being on an angle.
Sorry.

As you think, so will you be.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  5:54:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Twice the fun in half the space! Well done Frank!
Love the rusty tanks.
Dave

David Guffey

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  10:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, thanks, I tried to take advantage of the reflection to increase the view. Unfortunately at the last open house no one picked up on it. Civilians what do they know.

Rick I hear you on the angle. I had it level at first but it looked boring to me so I angled it. No worries the public didn’t notice it anyway. They concentrate on train operation and not the visual.

Dave, thank you, it’s a reflection on my work ethic.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 12/20/2018 10:38:10 AM

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout Topic Next Topic: On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920s Haiti  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000