Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 10/28/2018 :  9:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Freudian slip at the end. I meant to say "turned out" to be a lot of fun, not "turnout":)

Jim

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2018 :  10:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks real, Jim.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  05:13:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim,

Very nice job on the Great Northern unit, but it looks like it is an RS-1, not an RS-3.

Take care,
Rob.

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  09:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Looks real, Jim.

Thanks, Michael. I do spend time looking at numerous photos of prototype units to see where they naturally rust, where the water stains occur and what the trucks look like. It's always a balance between too much and too little and I think it takes a while to find that happy medium. I do tend to err on the side of a little more than a little less, especially because some detail on the weathering can get lost when it's on the layout depending on the lighting conditions. A bit like "stage makeup" if you will. Unfortunately almost none of us run our trains in sunlight which often the setting modelers use to showcase their work.

Jim

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  09:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

Hi Jim,

Very nice job on the Great Northern unit, but it looks like it is an RS-1, not an RS-3.

Take care,
Rob.

Thanks. Rob. My bad on the RS-3 designation. I knew it was either a RS-1 or a RS-3, but I have already stored the box in my attic and didn't feel like going up there to confirm, so I guessed. I knew I had a 50/50 shot:)

Jim

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  09:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very nice weathering job Jim.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  09:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kudos, guys. I also did the N+W Geep for the layout leaving the original reporting marks. The idea here is the N+W unit works the industrial area via the exchange track. This is engine you saw in the video clips from the open house.

Jim

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  8:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on both locos Jim'. The weathering looks just right to me. And good point about showcasing in the sun. The difference is dramatic..

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  09:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  1:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. Working on patching a box car for LSIRR. Stay tuned.

Jim

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  5:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frank has been working on some vehicles for the scrapyard area we are building. I think this is a Revell plastic kit in 1:48 and Frank made the "wrecked" fenders out of either copper or brass sheets. He can jump in here to clarify. Dave is still working on the building that will go with this and we have lots of scale scrap to collect and rust yet.

Jim

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  5:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys just amaze me more and more with each new post ... fantastic work!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  6:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just keeps getting better with each post. Amazing what you guys can do!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  6:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Rob, to think it all started with one of your fantastic track plans. It's all your fault.

Itís a Revell Chevy 2-Ton truck. I made a new right front fender from .005 copper. First I built the cab then I formed the "to be" wrecked fender over the good one and then I cut the good one off. The bed had a molded wood deck which I replaced with strip wood. The side gates were also replaced with wood and plastic stanchions. I flattened the front tires and gave it a modest rust job.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/07/2018 6:46:43 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  05:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very clever job on the fender. I like the flat tire. Your results are very convincing throughout.

Mike

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000