Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  2:59:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there no end to things you come up with????

That is just unbelievable!! What are you charging per sheet?

Buy it at FRANK'S HOBBY HOUSE

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  4:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job Frank.

I'd like one of those 90 degree Dremel adapters, but the reviews are poor.

Is yours an older model?

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  6:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick.

Jerry, there is no end as long as I need a tool to do a specific job Iíll sit down and make one.

Carl, Iíve had this one for, come to think of it Iíd be guessing and say 10 years and still going strong. I use it more than my Dremel with the regular straight drive. donít know what Iíd do without it.

Tim Godfrey
Section Hand

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  11:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tim Godfrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please bring it to The Center tomorrow!! Canít wait to see it!!

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  06:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every time I view this topic I come away amazed. Excellent work, great videos and a nice idea for siding. Frank you and the Team are to be commended, well done

TomO

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  3:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done Frank'!! Is that 1/8th spacing, and what kind of metal is that?

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  7:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom, I really appreciate the kudos.

Ted, it's .010 aluminum and the ribs are spaced 1/4" or 1 scale foot and the panels are a scale 10' high. We went to convention many-many moons ago and a guy was demonstrating how to use the aluminum to make barrels and so on and he was giving rolls of the stuff away to interested people. The roll is about 4" high and I still have a bunch to go.

I canít decide on the name or the manufacturing products it will produce. Iím leaning between a uranium pellet manufacturing company and a brewery. Neither one is safe to use unless you read the instructions.

Getting started on the sheet metal I gave them a coat of Rust-Oleum Gray Primer and oversprayed that with Krylon Hammered Silver. The gray was not a good color but that was what I had on hand. The silver made it a little better.

Since that wasnít quite right I brushed on Pan Pastels 820.8 Neutral Grey Tint. Ah much more believable a galvanized sheet metal color. Next came a very light coat of Krylon Matte Finish to seal the pan pastel. After painting and pan pasteling I cut the 10 scale feet high strips into 2-panel wide strips on my paper cutter. I tried some practice weathering on a few left over sheets.

Also shown are Dr. Benís #1374 Dry Fresh Rust and #1360 Muddy Earth. There are 2 containers of Bragdonís rust colors and the names are gone now. And we have Pan Pastelís 740.5 Burnt Sienna and the Neutral Grey.

To start the rust streaks I used Winsor Newton #2 Burnt Sienna and Artist Oilís Transparent Orange Iron Oxide oil paints. The Iron Oxide is the preferred color for doing rust ďhalosĒ.

I printed a few pictures from the web as a guide and began the streaking process with the oils. I clamped a wood strip along the top of the walls to keep from getting paint up against the eves. A couple of thousand strokes later I was done.

Not quite blended enough I applied the rust powders and 740.5 Burnt Sienna.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/24/2018 7:15:31 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  7:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank...you are RUST ROYALTY!

Excellent.

A couple of thousand strokes later I was done

Ain't that the truth!

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  4:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, I like!
Cheers,
Dave

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  7:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, Rust Royalty, hum I dunno. At least a couple 1000.

Thanks David.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  9:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

You appear to have mastered the fine art of rust. Generally a dubious distinction but useful in our hobby.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  10:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, I'm not sure about mastered but I like messing around with rust.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  10:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,
Rust away my friend! The rust looks great!
Dave

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 10/28/2018 :  9:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love rust. Stand by for more.

Jim

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 10/28/2018 :  9:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have been working on the weathering for several locomotives and just finished the first engine patched for Lakeshore Industrial Railroad. You can see this is an ex-Great Northern RS-3 and I patched it maintaining the original colors and adding the new marks over the patches as many shortline railroads do. The Great Northern lettering on the long hood was covered and replaced as well as the round Great Northern logo on the cab sides which was covered with the diamond-shaped LSI herald.

I used a number of steps in the weathering process. After masking the windows, I airbrushed a 50/50 combo of dullcoat and airbrush thinner that also included a few drops of Floquil grime. Once that dried, I added Floquil Dust on the lower parts of the loco. Then it was time do some heavy masking to cover the GM marks with a golden yellow to match the stripes on the body.

Dave cut the masks using the laser cutter with blue tape on thin metal that allowed me to peel of the mask off cleanly to apply it.

After painting the yellow it was time for a full mask so I could put a coating of gloss coat on the yellow to make the decals look invisible.

Once that dried, I applied the decals I had printed on my laser printer using decal sheets I ordered online. Then, it was time to add additional weathering using various colors of pan pastels to bring out detail, some rust in selected areas, and contrast. I also added AK Interactive Fuel Spills paint below the caps on the fuel fills. Just let it run down as it would in real life.

I wanted to show the diesel exhaust soot on the cab roof.

This project had more steps than I had originally imagined and a few twists and turns along the way, but turnout to be a lot of fun.

Jim

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.35 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000