Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  11:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Frank,
I look at your tug and barge and think...How does He do it? The detail and the realism is extraordinary!
Always a pleasure to see your models.
Dave

Dave I live in a vacuum and I have loads of time to research and develop. Besides Jim is a tuff task master.

I prefer to think of myself as a "project manager", but then again, several of you guys are a real project!

Jim

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 10/20/2018 :  9:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I will be posting some more pics soon, but just wanted to report we had a very good debut today during our open house. The layout ran flawlessly and we got through the entire switchlist in the course of the day.

This is the switchlist showing pick ups and set outs and their origins and destinations. The list is laminated and you can see from the dry erase checkmarks, we were about 2/3 of the way through here.

Here are several videos showing operations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO27bC4XpEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYo3G7EmqE0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO27bC4XpEE

Jim

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2018 :  9:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most excellent! Congratulations to the Team!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2018 :  11:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its exciting to see excellent modeling and operations at the same time. Seems like its usually one or the other.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2018 :  03:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great! Quite a layout.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2018 :  06:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 10/21/2018 :  09:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Guys, thanks for the supportive comments. The Lakeshore Industrial Railway absolutely had to run smoothly to fulfill its promise as an ops layout. So far, so good.

Neil, your waterfront layout looks great! I hope you been able to get it out of storage.

Jim

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2018 :  09:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phew, that was close. Our first operating session and a tragic train wreck was averted. In the second video the engineers of both trains applied the brakes just in the nick of time.

Jim had a teenager oping the layout for about an hour. He was doing flawless ops until his parents tore him away so they could leave.

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 10/21/2018 :  09:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, young people get the switch list quickly and figure out what moves they have to make to pick up and spot the cars. It's like a video game, only real, and it's a chance to bring young people to our hobby.

Jim

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2018 :  09:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Stuff! This hobby has been described as "Virtual Reality with stuff you can touch."

And no, I didn't come up with that, but I wish I had!

Pete
in Michigan

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2018 :  12:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I rarely use this word' but I must in this case'. AWESOME!!!! I could watch these videos all day'. Excellent job Men'..Jim what camera are you using? Excellent videos'..

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 10/21/2018 :  5:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ted! All the videos were shot on an iPhone X. Dave does have a slow panning device that is about three feet long that he mounts his phone on for the shot. It then moves the camera along the track very slowly.

Jim

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  3:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Jim, that is very impressive video from a cell phone'... Dave, knows what he is doing in that department'..and it certainly shows'..

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  2:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Outa tools make one.

I decided to use sheet metal for the siding on the over the track portion of my building. I needed a tool to scribe the siding uniformly. After burning a few brain cells I decided on a Masonite base. I was actually hoping to find a piece of white board large enough to do the job but no such luck.

I used the square as a guide to make the first groove. I used my Dremel with 90 degree attachment because Im able to keep the cutting wheel perpendicular. A couple of light passes and the groove was deep enough.

Next to keep all the grooves equal I soldered 2 pieces of brass together to make the spacer.

Setting one edge of the spacer in the first groove I slide the square against it and cut the second groove. And so on.

This is version or method 7 or 8 in the process and the one that worked the best. At first I tried holding various things along the bottom to keep the material straight. Finally I CAd strips of angle aluminum along the bottom and that worked great. No more fumbling. The one in the middle is just in case the strip wants to bow down.

Once again the first ideas for making the grooves went by the wayside. I tried a stylus, a rounded over pick, a ball point pen and finally a dull pencil. Actually the ball point pen worked great till the aluminum wore down the tip and the ball fell off. In the end the pencil worked the best, besides its graphite lubricated! No scratching and pulling metal on metal.

I just scored off a bunch and moved the strip along and scored some more. One or two passes and done.

This went easy peasy. Now I have a pile of ribbed siding to start the building.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/23/2018 2:42:17 PM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  2:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ingenious and well executed.

As you think, so will you be.

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page