Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2018 :  6:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
indeed. wow

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  8:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, we got some more work in with the crew today. We got the clear caulk down for the water and will add some brilliant Mod Podge Saturday. Frank has been updating you on his tug,but it was nice to see "on the water today". Dave just completed the Olympia Tool and Die kit from Itla and it looks great! You can see it here. I am also laboring away on the seven-story beast. I "bricked in" a number of the windows here and am beginning to stage the Westinghouse electric sign from Miller Engineering.

Jim

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  8:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The buildings look great (as does the tug).

Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 09/26/2018 11:10:58 PM

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  10:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
he's right ya know...
you could hide them with steel storage racks..er...racks storing steel. or something.

yep....i'm a helluva idear guy.

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  11:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bob, you are absolutely correct about the trucks on the backdrop being too large. We haven't done any of the final placement or scenery around the buildings yet and plan to cover those up with something -- good suggestions from the group. Honestly, I didn't even notice the "big" truck when I shot the pics today knowing we have a fix in mind, but it's true that photos don't lie and that's why take them:)

Jim

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  06:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice water!

Mike

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  08:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike! It will look even better when we add that additional layer of Mod Podge.

Jim

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  08:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All the various bits and pieces look terrific. Tug, seven-story behemoth, Olympia Tool and Die all look real. You guys know how to make kits look even better.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  09:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We try to be creative when kit bashing. The seven story beast is actually three DPM Konrad Paint Factory kits, intended as a two-story, rectangular building. We calculated it was less expensive to buy the three kits and zero base than buying 53 DPM panels. The O-scale panels are about $10 each, so we saved about 40% doing it this way:)

Jim

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  10:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys all have fantastic modeling skills. The buildings, water, tugs and barges, backdrops are all excellent, no way to pick a favorite.
Keep it coming.
Dave

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  11:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking great job by everyone!

The tug even has water!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  2:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. This is definitely the quickest build we have had for a layout so far. It took us seven years to get the Sundance Central to a semi-finished state, and after 14 years we are still tweaking. While this one is far from finished and will be still be under construction when we debut it next month, this has been a pretty rapid build considering we started in February. So far so good.

Jim

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  3:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, you guys are real PROS'!!!. Beautiful and realistic work'.. Is the Olympia Tool structure O scale? I was under the impression, Itla only made HO scale kits

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  4:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ted, yes the Olympia building is O Scale. They make this (and other ones) in both HO and O Scale.

Jim

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  7:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just caught up with the thread, gents.

Wow. Just... wow.

You've put my little O scale efforts to shame, for sure. Outstanding work.

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000