Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 131 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  8:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hope you can make it, Karl. And, your trestle looks board-for-board like the prototype!

Jim

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  8:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Got some work in this afternoon on the foam loading dock for the seven-story building. I put in the control joints for the “concrete” slab and added several washes and some pan pastels. I used a box cutter to cut the control joints and then went back with an exacto to scribe the smaller, random surface cracks.

Jim

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2018 :  11:03:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
Now that's some great looking concrete!!
Dave

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 09/13/2018 :  12:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Dave! I think the most fun thing about our hobby is creating illusion. It surely made Disney famous.

Jim

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2018 :  12:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TJ,

Looks like a Hollywood movie prop! You are hanging around Frank too much.

Jim

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2018 :  7:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

I'm gonna def try to get down there to the center for the October open house, it will be great to see what has changed down there since the last time I visited.
I'll have to find out the dates and work it into my schedule...

Karl.A

Our October Open House is the third Saturday or October, 20.

Hope to see you then Karl.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/14/2018 7:29:25 PM

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  8:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We got some additional work in today securing the mirrors on the ends of the layout, adding trim to the rounded edge by the car float, repainting the wood base for the water where Jon will finish the water on Saturday.

The seven-story building beast continues to evolve. I now have it under roof and have installed a black backing. I also got the final mortar lines in with some weathering around the edges and water drip lines. This will be the "Westinghouse" building as I continue to detail it out.

I am happy to say we had SRO during our clinic on the "Fundamentals of Building a Layout" a pictorial narration of the steps we followed to get to this point so far. We were also able to do a short demo on switching cars. I think this is going to be a popular layout for us.

Jim

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2018 :  07:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 09/20/2018 :  5:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I did some detail painting on the seven-story Westinghouse factory today because we decided would like to have it appear it is part of matched complex of same colored buildings that you see on the backdrop in the pics above. I added sandstone trim to the top cornices and then dry brushed the same color on the raised, decorative brick above all the windows as well as along the brick sill at the bottom. It was tedious, for sure, but I think this will help the building and the backdrop meld perfectly.

Jim

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2018 :  07:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2018 :  07:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah! Wow! Colors and weathering are all very effective

Mike

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2018 :  08:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lookin' good!

Jim

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 09/21/2018 :  08:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. There are always those moments during the various painting and weathering stages where I say, "Ugh, maybe I ruined it", but with some experimentation and repair things usually work out. I am adding window glazing and some roof and vent details next. I also want to experiment with some lighted window boxes showing some interior scenes.

Jim

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2018 :  12:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks fabulous!
Cheers,
dave

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2018 :  12:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000