Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 153 ]  [ Total: 162 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  7:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, My membership will get docked if the puns stop. Besides they fit my wharfed sense of humor:)

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  9:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Frank. Glad to see your getting the hang of this modeling thing!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2018 :  08:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Frank!

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2018 :  10:09:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ted. Happy to be of service in the “show & tell” department.

Bill, I can sea this will be a continuing oar deal. Happy to oblige.

Jerry, ok Labor Day is fast approaching and the beach daze will be officially over. So let’s see some progress of your own modeling skills.

Thanks Mike.

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 08/18/2018 :  4:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, despite missing Frank we did make some decent progress on the Lakeshore Industrial Railroad today.

•Dave finished the signs for the turnouts -- 3 shapes, 3 colors, all numbered appropriately. We got two coats of spray paint on (I added a second coat after you all left).

•We decided there is not enough light with just the LED strips. We tested a more powerful power source which made only a small difference. We added another strip of LEDs which helped some, but the light is still not bright enough and still too blue. We decided to add 18” fluorescent light tubes like Jon has the Silverton Central. I am getting those this week.

•Dave cut the window templates for the seven-story brick building Jim is building and Tim cut wood strips I can use to reinforce the structure. I will paint the window trim for all the panels and build the front of the building by Wednesday. I already tested the brick painting sequence and detail on two of the panels which I will duplicate on the entire model. Pictures attached. It only took about an hour per panel. Two panels down and 42 to go!

•Jon is ready to finish the water as soon as we put static grass and weeds on at least the areas in the front that are contiguous to the retaining wall which we can do Wednesday. Jon will then put a few more washes on the concrete wall and stain the plaster rock castings as well as putting dirt and rocks around the castings. From there, he will be able to finish the water color and shortly thereafter add the clear caulk.

Wednesday, task list:

1.Weeds and static grass next to retaining wall areas

2.Install fluorescent lights (6- 2x per section)

3.Put signs on brass wire posts and install

4.Test fit seven-story building

5.Plan for names for each of the buildings and rolling stock delivery point

6.Dave, will duplicate the turnout signs for the switch panels as well. That way operators can easily find the right toggle switch for the turnout they are looking to throw identified by three methods -- number, color, and shape -- on both the signposts and the switch panel.

7.Cut off and seal pegs Frank originally intended to use so Jon can finish the water

Dave is continuing his initial work on the two O scale building kits from upstairs -- one for the scrap yard area with crane and other for small industry on the left module.

Onward!

Jim

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2018 :  4:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey nice work guys.

Signed, Armchair Frank

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  12:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This should be the last touches to the carfloat, life rings and holders. I bent thin brass wire to make life ring holders. The wire was one continuous bend, the ends are soldered back onto the bend. The life rings are from Blue Jacket Shipcrafters.

I painted the life rings international orange and the holders white for that little spot of color. The bollards and cleats are yellow which also helps. The aft rings are mounted on a pole and the forward rings are mounted on the backside of the running lights.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/19/2018 12:22:22 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  9:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, you are killing it'.. the preservers came out great. Did I mention, the deck color is very realistic....

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  11:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow you guys are really a outstanding job on this.

Seems team work really works well with you guys.

Frank glad some one threw you a life preserver!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  06:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  07:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your car float looks wonderfully realistic. Expert job.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  08:51:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I painted the life rings international orange and the holders white for that little spot of color. Frank Palmer

A super close up revealed the secret behind the sweet success of this project.

And just a suggestion if you wanted a bit more color :)

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  09:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted, thanks for the comps. The deck color was a kaleidoscope of natural and unnatural events. If you know what I mean.

Jerry, we’re just a bunch of wild and crazy guys.

Thanks Mike.

Realistic is good, thanks Mike.

Bill, you’re just sugar coating this response.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  1:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a wrap.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/20/2018 1:02:18 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  1:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent!

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.84 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000