Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  3:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think he is on the big pirate ship and drinking some rum ( only a joke )

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  5:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frank, where did you get that aerial picture of the pirate ship? That IS my boat you circled. I had a new aft bimini top made and never realized how the colors don't exactly match from 200 feet!

Jim

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  6:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The crew made some progress today on the Lakeshore Industrial RR. We had two mirrors cut to extend the view beyond the side edges of the layout. Worked well, and this makes the whole thing look like it continues much farther than it actually does. Also did some additional support work and the top frame and roughed out some turnout markers on the laser printer. I am also building a seven-story brick industrial building with DPM modules. Got the footprint and measurements today and Dave is cutting the masking pieces om the laser cutter for every window and door so we can have perfect lines between window trim paint and brick color we will spray paint on the body.

Jim

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  6:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tampa Jim

Frank, where did you get that aerial picture of the pirate ship? That IS my boat you circled. I had a new aft bimini top made and never realized how the colors don't exactly match from 200 feet!

Come on Jim. You gottaí get up early in the morning to escape my eye in the sky.

Nice progress guys. The mirrors will give it so much more length.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  7:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good Frank.

Will this be ready for display when the Center re-opens in September?

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  8:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Carl, not sure if we will be ready to display this by our September 15th open house. It depends on the progress we make in the next few weeks. October for sure.

Jim

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  8:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only if they get the water done!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  2:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is incredible work by you and your team Frank. The mirror trick is just plain cool'. Beautiful layout'...

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 08/16/2018 2:22:49 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  6:32:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, I havenít contributed much lately the crew is picking up pace.

Jerry, that is a major sticking problem right now since there isnít any.

Ted, yes you said it best, the team is put forth the effort.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  11:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made a set of lighted dolphin pilings to moor the carfloat to. To appease the en-lighted I wanted to add lights to the tops so the boating public and the tug operators could see the mooring in the dark. I found these on the web. My first attempt was to make them from brass tubing. Uck, after making one I decided it was too much work so I opted for wood.

I drilled an 1/8Ē hole down the center of the main larger pile for the light wiring. The 3 thinner ones would be the support piles. I made a jig to build these on so they would be the same. It also made it easier to hold all the parts together during assembly. I made a wood piece that fit in the middle of the cluster to support the grouping.

I notched the outer edge of the piles and ran twisted wire (cable) around the dolphin set. I covered the wire twist with the batter board.

I added the circular platform for the battery box and lights. There are cleats on the outside pile to attach the lines to tie up the float. A little weathering and thatís all folks.

One of these days soon Iíll add them to the layout after Jon finishes the water.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  12:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those dolphin pilings look great! So much I can (and will) use from this thread. Thanks guys!
Cheers,
Dave

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  1:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This little light of mine, I'm gonna MAKEit shine
Sorry, Frank, maybe that was "piling" on :) Your dolphins look terrific!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  2:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
VERY Nice!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  4:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks David, so youíre not going to make the O Scale convention. Wonder why.

Thanks Bill, I know youíre under a lot of pier pressure to keep up the puns. You're doing a good job for a home bouy.

Thanks Carl.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/17/2018 4:14:45 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  5:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that is the ticket Frank'. They look wonderful, and Again another excellent modeling project from you'.. You make it so easy for the rest of us to copy from.

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 08/17/2018 8:15:46 PM

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000