Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  8:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, you are correct regarding navigation lights while a vessel is docked. But I think those barges would have some type of illumination for evening operations. I wonder what the OSHA guide lines are for these barges now days.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  1:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Frank, you are correct regarding navigation lights while a vessel is docked. But I think those barges would have some type of illumination for evening operations. I wonder what the OSHA guide lines are for these barges now days.

Maybe it's a pirate barge
Dave

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  7:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, we along Floridaís SW coast are going on about a year with a Red Tide. Definitely eau de poisson.

Ted, there will be some lighting on the gantry.

Tampa gets invaded every year for the Gasparilla Pirate week with plenty of grog and wenches. Their pirate ship, Jose Gaspar, is actually a barge pushed by a tug.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/03/2018 7:07:23 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  7:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are you???

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Tim Godfrey
Section Hand

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  4:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tim Godfrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

I am not the boat expert that you are but I know in the aircraft business, commercial airplanes at the gate even though they are not occupied have their position (running) lights on 24-7. They don't want anyone hitting the plane. The plane has to be out of service to have the position lights off.

Just my$.02.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  10:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, I agree with Tim, at the ship yard in New London, plenty of ships, barges, and tugs are docked with lights on. Not certain exactly what type of lights they are. Some are regular white bulbs on the big ships. Others are red, green or yellow...

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  09:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, lets try to put this light thing to bed once and for all.

Tim this is a barge not an airplane.

Ted I went through Rule 30 and have selected appropriate sections for you.

ß 83.30 Vessels anchored, aground and moored barges (Rule 30).

(h) The following barges shall display at night and if practicable in periods of restricted visibility the lights described in paragraph (i) of this Rule:

(i) Every barge projecting into a buoyed or restricted channel.

(ii) Every barge so moored that it reduces the available navigable width of any channel to less than 80 meters.

(iii) Barges moored in groups more than two barges wide or to a maximum width of over 25 meters.

(iv) Every barge not moored parallel to the bank or dock.

(k) The following are exempt from the requirements of this Rule:

(i) A barge or group of barges moored in a slip or slough used primarily for mooring purposes.

(ii) A barge or group of barges moored behind a pierhead.

(l) Barges moored in well-illuminated areas are exempt from the lighting requirements of this Rule.

What you guys are missing is this barge is not projecting into the navigable channel and It is moored behind a pierhead. Iíve done my homework on Rule 30 but if youíre not happy with the answer . . . try another rule.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  10:03:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,
Lights on or lights out the barge is one fine piece of modeling.
Dave

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  11:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aye! Aye! Captain!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  6:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave.

Sweepers - Sweepers man your brooms, sweep down fore and aft. Jerry I had to sweep that off the deck it was piling up.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  06:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This lighting thing seems to be a very illuminating subject!

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  09:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  5:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some serious modelling here....

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  8:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Frank In spite of rule # 30 we still wants lights'...Such a beautiful barge needs to be illuminated at night'...

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  10:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Ted, so no problem with R-30? There will be light at the top of the gantry and on the steel dolphin pilings which will be outside the carfloat.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/08/2018 10:42:57 AM

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000