Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2018 :  1:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, More WELDone additions to the project. Like the repurposed pulleys, bridge and tower.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2018 :  2:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Excellent metalwork. Your bridge really gives me a lift.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 07/14/2018 :  4:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Had a very productive day today on the layout. You saw Frank's lift structure which worked very well in practice. Here are a couple of videos showing that:
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqXiFIimpPE/url]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxoj9Z0HY_Y

Jim

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 07/14/2018 :  4:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We also made good progress on other parts of the layout. You can see here we got a big part of the backdrop/valance structure built using components from a company called 80/20:

Jim

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 07/14/2018 :  4:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We also got our backdrop in from Dave at Backdrop Junction. This is 3'X 18' (3 six-foot sections) on self-adhesive vinyl. Here you see it laying on the floor at the Center:

Jim

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 07/14/2018 :  4:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frank and I also finished the finer ballasting work around the 14 turnouts. We'll find out Wednesday if they all still move freely!

Jim

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2018 :  9:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are really doing a great job.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2018 :  05:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

You guys are really doing a great job.

I agree with Jerry.

As you think, so will you be.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2018 :  09:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank, good to hear from you again. we have stalled out on the U-Boat project and hope to get back to that after the O-Scale get going.

Pete, thanks.

Bill and Mike, I can always count on you guys to pull me up when Iím down.

Jerry and Rick, I donít know, weíre a little sketchy.

I taped over the switch points, frog and tortoise "hole" to keep ballast and glue from getting in there. I hope, we'll see Wednesday.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/15/2018 09:19:26 AM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2018 :  09:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting. Frank I would like to know more about the 80/20 product for the show layout I am building.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 07/15/2018 :  2:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Lars,

We researched several companies that make metal tubing with plastic connectors and decided that 80/20 had the best application for us. The company bills itself as "the industrial erector set", and they do indeed have many shapes, sizes, and connectors that allow you build almost anything. Richard Schmitt from our group is an architect so he designed what we wanted for our three modules, each six feet long. From there it was a matter of selecting which tubular pieces we would need for the backdrop support and the valance the extends 18" out from the back of the support. 80/20 offers numerous connectors and we ended up using about five different couplers depending on what we needed to connect. The cost of what we ordered ended up being about $300 and the company cut many of the tubes to the length we specified.
The end product is very structurally sound and light. The 80/20 site has catalogs , tutorials, and e-books that are pretty helpful. We could also put you in touch with Richard if you would like.
https://8020.net/bookshelf

Jim

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2018 :  7:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got a little further on the gantry today. I added cross braces for the wood deck. Then I added the pulleys and the Crow River electric motor powered winch. I made a railing made from .020 music wire and the stations are made from 1/64Ē x 1/16Ē brass strip wrapped around the railing. Now I need a ladder and a sign.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2018 :  7:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

You guys are having way too much fun, and the results are Fabulous. I need to plan another road trip to Tampa in my future. Eventually....

Very cool!

Pete
in Michigan

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2018 :  8:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Jim. Frank the weathering on the details is fantastic.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2018 :  11:51:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank your really getting the hang of this modeling thing!!

Another gem!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000