Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  7:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

Frank, a perfectionist is never happy with what they produce and can't accept acknowledgement for a well-done job. A craftsman knows how to fix a mistake and produce a high-quality product. I think you are definitely the latter.
Cheers,
Dave

Well said.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  7:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I vote for "Craftsman."

Very nicely done, Frank!

Pete
in Michigan

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  7:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry, I’m humbled by your comment.

David and Mike, thanks for the kind words.

Thanks Pete.

I went to the Center today to check out how the new track configuration fits. I like it, it can handle 2 - 40s and 3 - 50s with no problem.

I have been checking the track and turnout on the car float with an ohm meter today. I kept getting a continuity reading and not an open circuit. It was really puzzling me since all the ties have been cut to break the copper cladding . . . on top. I took a break to watch an episode of Forged in Fire and during the show I made a breakthrough thought. I didn't cut the copper on the bottom of the PC board. I installed track nails in the PCB ties and the nails were making contact from the top thru to the bottom and then making contact across the rails to the other rail that way.

I removed opposing track nails and installed them on alternating ties. Problem solved. Now for the acid test Thursday when Jim can run the locos on and off.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/26/2018 7:38:50 PM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  8:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool barge!
I have not been down to visit in a few years. The good news is my Son just moved to Ft. Myers so I have a reason to get close by to see your work up close again. Keep up the excellent modeling.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  9:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My bet is it will work perfectly Thursday.

Jim

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  9:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tampa Jim

My bet is it will work perfectly Thursday.

Agreed.

Pete
in Michigan

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  10:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry, great news to hear you have an excuse to come by for a visit. Let me know when you’re in town and I’ll give you a private tour.

Fingers crossed Jim.

Thanks Pete.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  2:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, some how I must have hibernated through all your work on this thread up to this point. Just waking up to discover all your progress. Looks like you managed to keep the project afloat even with some changes.
It's looking good. Staying awake for the scenery yet to come.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 06/27/2018 2:13:21 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  4:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, happy to have you aboard.

I added an O-Scale ground throw to the turnout today. Underneath I installed braces and a piece of PCB to mount the throw on. Pretty simple and greatly improves the operation.

Tim Godfrey
Section Hand

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  6:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tim Godfrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thursday?? I would have come home from Milwaukee early if I had known!!

Looks really good. Can't wait to see it Saturday!

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  5:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, we finally got to start some basic scenery today on one of the three modules. You'll see we mixed up our classic wood flour concoction that we use on all our layouts made from very fine sawdust, water with a few drops of Dawn, and white glue. We brushed on a layer of white glue on the styrofoam first and then applied the wood flour past with bare hands (except Frank, who used latex gloves as you will see). After stippling with a paint brush, we added some real dirt that we dug from behind the building, sifted several times, and then left out in the hot Florida sun as went to lunch so it would dry out. It worked! We them went back and hit the entire area with a wet water spray. Should be dry in a few days and we can add to it, alter it, do just about anything by wetting again. Next step. Ballast.

Jim

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  5:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, sent you an email via the forum.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2018 :  10:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill, got it.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2018 :  2:48:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wanted to give the float bridge some legitimacy so I added beams and bracing to the underside. I dug through my brass scrap bin and found 1/2" angle and several 1/4" x .032 strips. I came up with a plausible design and soldered them in place. I took these pictures before I painted it with Rust-Oleum Earth Brown so you could see the details easier.

I went on line and searched for “block lettering”. I found this site: http://www.fontspace.com/category/block?p=4 , they have 621 free block lettering fonts. I decided on JERSEY 85. I wanted something that was easy to cut out with an eXacto knife. Now we have our first piece or Lake Shore RR equipment, car float no. 4.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/01/2018 2:50:26 PM

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2018 :  8:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing Frank...the float is first class work!
The track work seemed very trying but you came through the trials and taught us all a few things.
Thanks,
Dave

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000