Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/15/2018 :  10:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George, I was concerned if the locomotives could negotiate the 3 and they made it through.

Dave, thanks.

Rich, thanks for checking it out.

To add the rest of the track to the float I used modified Atlas flex track. I did some experimenting to start with before the major cutting. I did the cutting on my Proxxon table saw.

Step 1: trim off the ties along the tie plates on the outside.

Step 2: trim off the ties along the tie plates on the inside.

Step 3: trim the ties to the thickness of the PCB.

Not much left, only the tie plates.

I left every 4th tie to hold the gauge. I then soldered on PCB ties in some places to hold the curve. I realize the curve isnít prototypical but I need every millimeter I can find. I would have made the float wider if I had known we were going to bubble out the module and eliminated this curving. Iíll cut the cross ties when I attach the rail to the float.

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 06/16/2018 :  8:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We did some preliminary planning for the number, location, and footprint size for the buildings on the layout today. Cardboard cutouts stand in for what we will build and three mailing tubes might actually make into our cement plant with some substantial alteration and surface treatment!

[data/Tampa Jim/2018616204842_O Scale Building Planning 5.jpg/img]

[ data/Tampa Jim/2018616204941_O Scale Building Planning 4.jpg/img]

Jim

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 06/16/2018 :  8:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here Frank demonstrates how to "retrofit" an existing O Scale Layout to the space available. Let's just say it's an aggressive method but it worked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP225mErcIE

Jim

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/16/2018 :  11:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took a minute from the beach. Frank that's a pretty cool float you got there!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2018 :  11:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You just never know what to expect on this thread. Aside from excellent modeling of course. The car float is fascinating.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2018 :  1:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank the ferry is looking good. Interesting to see the urban planning. But, that video ain't for the faint of heart!

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2018 :  7:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim is our module historian.

Jerry thanks, I canít believe youíre home from the beach so soon.

Mike and Bob, thanks for the comps on the carfloat. The band saw is a time saver when it comes to correcting building size. I did a more surgical cut on a Woodland Scenicís Morrisonís Doors.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2018 :  4:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know how you look at something and you realize you made a piece of crap? Well I did. And I couldnít stand it anymore. The cars and locomotive had trouble negotiating that wicked ďSĒ curve. Plus it looked terrible. I knew I could do better so I discarded the old #3 turnout and saved the track. When I did the drawings I did a left, right and a ďYĒ #3 turnout.

Now that we added the bubble to the corner of the module I was able to use more space and go with the ďYĒ turnout. Plus I was able to move the float 2Ē further away from the dock. That would give me a 5-1/2Ē float bridge. I was able to get more of the turnout onto the bridge giving me more room on the float tracks.

I also learned a few things from the first version and corrected those errors in version 2.

This is with a 40í and a 50í car on the far track. Two 40s and 2 Ė 50s will fit no problem.

Hereís a close up of the new turnout and bridge.

I made track bumpers from triangular pieces of brass soldered to the rails.

I solved the problem of what glue to use. I didnít use any. I inserted HO Atlas track spikes into the tie plate ends. It was easy to pre-drill a hole in the tie plate and push the spike into the Sintra plastic. There are spikes every 2 or 3 ties and it holds fine.

After I spiked the track in place I cut the cross ties out so just the tie plates remained. That gives it a more prototypical look. After some weathering I donít think youíll notice the soldered ties vs. the plastic ties as much.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/25/2018 4:28:31 PM

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2018 :  10:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,
The second go-around is definitely an improvement. I think that the first one would have been fine but having seen the second, improved, version you know there is no going back. Good job!
Cheers,
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2018 :  10:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

A big improvement over your first version, which looking back on the photos, I find rather cartoonish now.

I envy your facility with track-laying. Today I tried to spike down a single rail and had trouble keeping it reasonably straight. You do nice clean accurate work.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  07:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you realize you made a piece of crap? Well I did. And I couldnít stand it anymore

A true craftsman is his own toughest critic, and is willing to cast aside his unsatisfactory efforts and start again...

Bravo Frank!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  10:17:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David, when thereís no deadline itís nice to have the option for do-overs.

Mike, I agree it was cartoonish and crude. Having the bubble out gave me so many more options.

Carl, I donít know if Iím more of a craftsman or a perfectionist.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  11:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfectionist I think for sure! Nothing wrong with that Frank!

Your work is way beyond Master Modeler!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  2:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, a perfectionist is never happy with what they produce and can't accept acknowledgement for a well-done job. A craftsman knows how to fix a mistake and produce a high-quality product. I think you are definitely the latter.
Cheers,
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  5:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

Frank, a perfectionist is never happy with what they produce and can't accept acknowledgement for a well-done job. A craftsman knows how to fix a mistake and produce a high-quality product. I think you are definitely the latter.
Cheers,
Dave

Well said.

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000