Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: conrailandrew ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920s Haiti Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 54

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  09:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frank,
Just catching up with your postings. We can always count on you to build the unique and unusual models. The car float is terrific!!
Dave

David Guffey

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  10:34:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave C, yesterday I tried Pliobond and that didnít work. Humm, that liquid nails Ė no more nails stuff sounds like it might work. Iíll give that a try.

Dave G, thanks for tuning in.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  4:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I spent most of the day making a code 100 #3 turnout for the carfloat. This was quite an experience. This #3 was harder to make than the code 250 Fn3 #6 turnout I made several weeks ago. I made a track gauges from a piece of angle brass but grinding 2 slots in it. I used the drawing I made in AutoCAD ad the filing and grinding template.

I cut tie strips from a PCB sheet leaving enough to form the bridge. The bridge will be covered with something to disguise that flat look. I decided to solder the stock rails directly to the bridge leaving a gap between it and the first tie on the float. Iíll cut the rail at a later date. This way the rails will line up no problem.

I used my solder pad to pin all the parts to over a copy of the switch plan.

I cut the tie plate sections from the Atlas flex track and set them between the PCB ties. Iíll cut the PCB ties later. I just want them to hold the rail in gauge.

Today at the layout we tested the bridge and turnout. With a slight downward angle on the bridge all but the largest loco navigated the system without hanging up. The plow hung up on the big one.

After the test session I found out I have to move the guard rails over a smidge to keep the wheels from hitting the frog point. Other than that it worked great. I would have had a better time if I had an O-Scale track gauge.

We also worked on the water ďbubble outĒ. This will give me room for some nice dolphin pilings. Iíd like to add flashing lights to them just for effect.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/13/2018 5:02:54 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  5:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
slowly but surely progress. It's going to look good

It's only make-believe

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  6:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good!

I would have had a better time if I had an O-Scale track gauge

You've got to be kidding! What did you use, some trucks from a boxcar?

Tim Godfrey
Section Hand

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  8:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tim Godfrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

I did not know you needed track gauges. I will bring some roller type Saturday.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  9:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.....and all of a sudden it's out of my league.. :-(
That is quite the fancy bit of track work. How do you switch from one track to the other? I don't see where the points hinge (I may be using incorrect terminology here)?
Loving it, though.
Cheers,
Dave

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  9:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Frank's #3 turnout is pretty amazing. Here is a video clip of an RS-1 negotiating the turnout even before we secured everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjQ6HcyKrfI

Jim

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  10:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Very nice. Sort of makes one yearn for a larger scale.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  10:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
1:48 is a nice scale to work with. I have an HO layout at home, and of course, the 1:20.3 Sundance Central at the Center, but the O-scale bug got me (with Tim fanning the flames). That's what got us thinking this would be a good addition. The Suncoast Center for Finescale Modeling will now have 1:20.3. 1:48 (in both narrow and standard gauges), and 1:64 with Jon Addison's layout.

Jim

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  10:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank & Jim, that is some fine engineering and workmanship'..Nice job'..Gents'..

Ted

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2018 :  11:09:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, s-l-o-w-l-y we turn. But weíre getting there.

Carl, I only used those 2 homemade track gauges. It was pretty rough.

Tim that would be great.

Dave, the point rails are soldered for about 1/4"at the end of the bridge. They are only 2-1/2Ē long but they flex ok. I cut the bottom of the rail to help with flexing. Iím using a spring to hold the points in position. Later Iím going to add a lever throw arm.

Mike I agree this O-scale is pretty nice. Big enough to handle and small enough to get a lot into a reasonable space.

Thanks Ted.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2018 :  1:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A number 3 switch is pretty radical. You've done a nice job of building it.

George

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2018 :  2:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

... I cut the bottom of the rail to help with flexing. Iím using a spring to hold the points in position. Later Iím going to add a lever throw arm.

Ahh. Smart.
Cheers,
Dave

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2018 :  10:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

A little out of my league here, but following your excellent progress. Nice work.

Rich

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920s Haiti Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000