Railroad Line Forums - HO Triangular wood strips
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: CREWBOSS614 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 HO Triangular wood strips
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills Saulenas Tavern HO Scale Topic Next Topic: HO Scale ACE Millwork & Cabinets  

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  02:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

for a recent project I need to create two triangular wood strips, each about 3" long. This is in HO scale, the short sides should be 6 scale inches.

I have a disk sander, a miniature table saw and the usual hand tools on hand.

I wonder what would be the easiest way to go. What would you recommend?

Regards
Martin

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  07:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Martin,

I'd shave a 1/16" X 1/16" X 4" piece (an inch to hang on to) with an x-acto knife at a 60 degree angle on two sides. .062" is very close to the 1.75 mm that's your scale 6" in HO. Watch your fingers.

Jim

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  09:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used my Proxxon tilt-arbor table saw to produce similar triangle strips. (I use the tilt feature maybe once per year, but when I need it, it's the best tool for the job.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 01/26/2018 09:45:17 AM

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  10:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Martin,

I'm not sure what you're building but I thought that maybe Plastruct Triangle stock would be a possibility. I know you said wood but an .060 strip of this stuff would be pretty easy to color and match to your wood. It comes in .030 to .125 sizes. The .080 piece in this photo is greatly enlarged.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  11:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin, You may be interested in looking at "Specialized Balsa Wood.COM." Lots of assorted sizes of wood. Also, many different triangles in a variety of sizes. Very nice high quality woods, reasonably priced. Excellent service. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Ted

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  04:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, Dave, Karl and quartergauger48, thanks for your tips and ideas.

Finally I decided to follow Dave's idea and use my table saw. I started with a piece of stripwood with the desired thickness but larger width. With two cuts I got strips of sufficient precision.

Regards,
Martin

BNOFAN
New Hire

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  1:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years ago, I made some HO scale caboose sun shades which are positioned above the windows. To make these I used a file to shape some styrene square stock into the triangular cross-section, but I used a simple sanding fixture to get a uniform shape. It consisted of a small sheet of styrene with another strip of the correct height cemented at the needed distant from the edge. Using the two edges gave me the guidance to get the uniform cross-section. A more durable fixture could be made with brass strips.

Previous Topic: Bar Mills Saulenas Tavern HO Scale Topic Next Topic: HO Scale ACE Millwork & Cabinets  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000