Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery:June 17 More Photos in B&W Topic Next Topic: Members Prototype Photos
Page: of 77

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  11:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heron at sunset in Beaufort, NC last week. Sorry, but I only had my phone's camera.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  11:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My backyard is all fowled up this morning. The duck family is out for a cruise.

And the Anhinga is drying it's wings on my "low" perch.

And finally the Sandhill crane's "Colts", yes that's correct, are out of the nest for the first time since hatching. It takes a month for them to incubate, that's a long for the parents to alternate sitting on the nest.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/20/2017 11:29:22 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  11:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like you are really going to the birds Frank! I love the Sandhill cranes. They have NO fear of humans. At my Step-Mom's retirement village they usually show up in Jan. and hang there until early March. When I would walk her dog along the lake one or two would come up and walk with us for a couple hundred yards or so. Her dog is fairly small so 4 foot tall birds kinda freaked her out and she would glue herself to me until they left.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  8:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, try getting close when they have young around. That 10" beak looks mighty scary.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  11:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool Frank' you have a regular wild life reserve down there'.. I still have a good foot of snow on the ground' and it's cold'.. I'll have to come visit...

Ted

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2017 :  01:02:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome! My brother used to send me pics of sandhill cranes in Montana.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2017 :  01:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw this guy today:

Western Tiger Swallowtail. His wingspan was at least four inches across.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2017 :  01:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Monday night I drove out to the Anza-Borrego desert for an overnight trip to see the wildflowers. All the rain we've had this winter has produced a bumper crop of desert flowers. I also found an adorable little horned lizard, aka "horny toad".

You can see my wildflower photos starting here:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/Borrego_Trips_2017.html#129

Edited by - Ray Dunakin on 03/25/2017 01:10:12 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  5:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An update on the junior Sandhills hanging out on their floating grass island.

I've been working on my koi pond too. I added the plant area to the left. The Sandhill nest is directly across the pond.

Iíve got 2 kinds of iris, purple rush, dwarf water lilies and water hyacinth in the bog. The hyacinth is illegal to purchase in Florida but it grows naturally not far from my house. To get a fish size comparison, the 3 pavers right in front of the yellow one are 6" square.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 04/06/2017 5:27:14 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  7:04:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice spread you have there Frank. Looks like that yellow Koi is approximately 18 inches long'. That's a pretty good sized fish...

Ted

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  08:29:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you grill or fry Koi?

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  09:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ted. Mike, it wouldn't make any difference if you grilled or fried, they'd still taste like the pellets that I feed them smell.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  10:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank', I like that Saint Anthony, is watching over the Koi pond'..

Ted

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  2:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, Saint Francis, patron saint of Animals, Merchants & Ecology was a gift from my wife's girl friend. He doesn't help that much I've had some die over the years.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 04/07/2017 2:07:23 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  08:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank with enough beer and tartar sauce they would be O.K.

Mike

Page: of 77 Previous Topic: The Gallery:June 17 More Photos in B&W Topic Next Topic: Members Prototype Photos  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000