Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 125 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: March 17 Lets Look At The Details Topic Next Topic: A short message front New Zealand
Page: of 75

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  01:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What has he been drinkinglook at web.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

ac35
New Hire

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  3:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on the editing Dave. I am still learning little tidbits on posting. "Harry" as he is known to my wife is not a favorite of hers either. Bob if you watched the spider make its web you would need a stiff drink too. Its wild to watch how fast from start to finish this thing gets it done.

Ed

TmOn30
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  06:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try and get a picture of the drop bears we have here in Oz, maybe mario might have some

Tom.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  8:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You never know what you might find in the front yard.....Hornets!!!!!

After taking a number of photos I realized there was another nest above this one. Both are occupied, so hmmmm now what!

Edited by - Tim Kerkhoff on 09/24/2010 8:04:28 PM

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  11:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
Those are white tail hornets and some mean bastards.
Worse than yellow jackets. They will sting you just for the pleasure of doing so.
Be careful. If no goes near the nests and you can leave them until winter, I'd let them go.
Winter time you can knock them down.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  08:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here I am again with one of my "back yard buddies", a squirrel grabbing a peanut that has peanut butter smeared on it. I had my Canon SX10 camera sitting on the edge of the steel patio chair, set at f/8 and 1/250th shutter speed, and close up mode selected; lens was set at the equivalent of 28mm. Smaller digital cameras will give surprisingly great depth of field even at f/8, as can be seen. A great advantage with this camera is the silent electronic shutter, which does not startle the tree rodent.

It's funny that the squirrels are pretty cautious when grabbing the peanut, doing so quite quickly. But most of the time they sit up and lick off the peanut butter, only a few inches away from where it was. I guess the treat is more than their fear.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Edited by - railphotog on 09/30/2010 08:38:32 AM

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  4:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's that time of year again. It seems just like the swallows coming back to Capistrano; but in our case, its the geese going back to our backyard.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  5:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you just can't walk out there until they're gone if you want clean shoes.

Dave Mason
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  5:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can see the souvenirs that they leave on the walking path. They will be like that for another month or so. The path gets pretty bad in spots, making walking with any kind of "good" shoes almost impossible.

lumberjack
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  6:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shhhhh.....don't wake the kitty!

Gerry Gilliland

Maritime Lumber

Wolfgang
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  12:31:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An old tree in our garden has some hornets looking for wood.

Wolfgang

come to us
Pueblo & Salt Lake RR

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  1:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railphotog
...It's funny that the squirrels are pretty cautious when grabbing the peanut, doing so quite quickly. But most of the time they sit up and lick off the peanut butter, only a few inches away from where it was. I guess the treat is more than their fear.

I have a friend whose favorite expression to talk about 'progress' is "moving the peanut". I sent him a couple of your photos and at least one has shown up on a briefing he gave :-)

The nice thing about Tree Rats is that they always look like they're having fun. This is the time of year when they chase each other; I looked out my window and two of them were 'doing the nasty' in the tree in front of me. Have they no shame??!!

dave

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  3:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery
I looked out my window and two of them were 'doing the nasty' in the tree in front of me. Have they no shame??!!
dave

"Time to make the doughnuts", or whatever. Springs just around the corner.

Dave Mason

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  3:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This pretty bird was poised on a prize cherry tree and my wife was amazed of its beauty, until later when she saw what it had done. There were 10-12, 4" x 12" nicely bored holes, 8" deep in our tree. The shotgun is still loaded by the door.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  4:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

This pretty bird was poised on a prize cherry tree and my wife was amazed of its beauty, until later when she saw what it had done. There were 10-12, 4" x 12" nicely bored holes, 8" deep in our tree. The shotgun is still loaded by the door.

Rich, I can't see your picture so I can't see what kind of bird, but usually woodpeckers, etc, are after insects. So if he's at a prized tree, you should probably have that tree checked out for termites or carpenter ants.

dave

Page: of 75 Previous Topic: The Gallery: March 17 Lets Look At The Details Topic Next Topic: A short message front New Zealand  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000