Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: March 17 Lets Look At The Details Topic Next Topic: A short message front New Zealand
Page: of 75

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  06:57:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike
Cute guest and a nice photo.
Peter

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  09:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "gangs" of Helena, Montana

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

shadetreekid
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  12:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let them be. they are resting.... getting ready for their work on December 24th.

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  12:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those are elk Don

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  1:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are some huge animals to be roaming the streets. How common is this?
Do they ever go after people? Must be impossible keeping them out of your vegetable garden.
Sorry for all the questions, I just find this fascinating.

We had deer in our yard when I was a kid, but they didn't walk calmly down the street or lounge on the lawn like these guys.

As you think, so will you be.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  1:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When we were up in Banff several years ago they would roam all over town. I recall coming out of a store and meeting one on the sidewalk. Glances were exchanged and then I decided quickly that I needed to continue shopping as fast as could.

I don't know if the lady is your wife, but I will give her my vote for courageous if she is trying to keep them off the lawn.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  4:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the photos in an e-mail. This is an example of the 'Gang' problem they have in Helena.
I'm some distance away in Massachusetts but you can bet my wife would have been out there chasin' them off.
Don't really know their habits but it looks like they're in velvet which causes them to do strange things.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Mainframer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  5:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The same thing happens in Estes Park, Colorado. Elk walking down the street and laying in the public gardens. These are still in velvet so the pictures were taken earlier in the year. Now, the antlers would be well polished. People do foolish things around these animals forgetting that they are wild and need their space. Kind of hard to give it to them when they invade your front yard. Tom

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  6:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If I didn't know any better, I would say they are at Santa's' house and resting up.
Peter

lumberjack
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  6:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had our first substantial amount of snowfall this weekend and some visitors. Our dog seems to be interested in them.

Gerry Gilliland

Maritime Lumber

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  09:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stuck a photo of 'some wildlife' on this thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27968 (Souvenir of our recent trip to Machu Picchu)

dave

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  11:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A blue heron huddled up against the wind and blowing snow. The air temperature was 10 above and - thanks to my dock de-icers - this was the only 'free' water in our cove this morning. The rest of the cove is ice-bound. So the ducks and herons tend to congregate around here, where they can feed, shelter, and swim in 'warm' water.

scott
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  12:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know they appreciate your affords Mike. There's a creek about a 1/2 mile from me and we have a Great Blue Heron and a bunch of woodies that live there from spring on. The heron was named Boris by the elderly woman who lives down that way. Some of those elk have impressive racks on them. I don't know if I could resist bagging one if they were laying in my front yard. I probably scare the crud of of the neighbors when I let loose with my 30-06 so I'd use my bow instead.

Scott, from the wilds of Carroll County, Ohio

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  12:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike
Very nice image. You captured his feelings exactly: cold,tired and weary.
Peter

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  11:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spend one hour each morning watching the birds in the back yard. Here are some of the pics I took the past two weeks.

Page: of 75 Previous Topic: The Gallery: March 17 Lets Look At The Details Topic Next Topic: A short message front New Zealand  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000