Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 69 ]  [ Total: 69 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: April 17 Modeling Plant Life Topic Next Topic: Having fun with the camera
Page: of 76

shortliner
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  10:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mr Sparrowhawk - plucking a sparrow he'd just caught in the bush above. Taken through my double-glazed kitchen window, about 10 minutes ago - so not the best quality photo

[URL=http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sany0063.jpg][/URL]

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  10:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A very nice catch...ha Ha

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  10:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great catch - both for you and the hawk! I've seen some kind of small hawk getting birds near our backyard feeder at least three times, but barely even caught good glimpse, as it zoomed through the area so fast. Just a "swoosh" and a "what was that?". Even if I was prepared with my camera at the ready, I could never have taken a shot of it. By the time I realise what was happening, it was long gone!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

shortliner
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  2:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just heard a hell of a racket in the bush and went to see what was going on! He was just there on the ground squeezing it with his claws, and we managed not to move so he ignored us - the camera just happened to be to hand as I have been charging the batteries for a trip to a model railway exhibition tomorrow. His mate often comes and sits, either on the bird bath, or the top of the feeding station, but they will go if they see movement - you have to adjust your position very slowly and carefully.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  5:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
jack
For us suburbanites ... a photo of something we rarely see, Thanks for posting.
Peter
BCT

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  2:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This cat regularly stalks the squirrels in our back yard, haven't seen it catch one yet. The squirrel appears to know its there, but is fast enough to make it to the nearest tree if the cat starts to pounce. If the cat does run after the squirrel, it usually runs up a tree, goes over to another tree an comes down and continues feeding on the dropped seeds from the bird feeder overhead. A real daredevil!

Took this with my small point and shoot camera, as that's all that I had with me. It does have a 7X zoom, but trying to watch these two in the rear LCD screen outside in the sunlight is a real pain, as the images are hard to see. Got the image anyway, so that's what counts!

Bob Boudreau

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  9:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Camouflage!

I was able to get these 4 shots yesterday in Kingston, MA.
A red tailed hawk I think.
Really blends in with the trees.

I had to keep whistling to get him (her?) to turn around.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Edited by - mabloodhound on 04/17/2009 07:29:37 AM

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  2:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railphotog

This cat regularly stalks the squirrels in our back yard, haven't seen it catch one yet. The squirrel appears to know its there, but is fast enough to make it to the nearest tree if the cat starts to pounce. If the cat does run after the squirrel, it usually runs up a tree, goes over to another tree an comes down and continues feeding on the dropped seeds from the bird feeder overhead. A real daredevil!

Bob,
Squirrels and pets. I think the squirrels love taunting pets more than they like the nut. We had a cocker spanniel when we lived in Oregon and he job was to chases squirrels (Or so he thought). He loved to lay in the family room and look out the sliding glass door at the back yard. A squirrel would usually come down and start eating a nut right in front of him on the other side of the glass. Buster could only handle so much and he would take off to the dining room and go out his doggie door to chase the squirrel. Of course he never caught it. It would always jump on a tree and taunt him, upside down, just out of his reach. Which was only about 2-feet off the ground. The squirrels would literally drive him nuts.

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  4:27:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The White Pelicans have returned to the lake...yes we do have pelicans in Wisconsin and I can prove it

There is a group of about 30 nesting on a small island across the lake from us.

In memory of Mike Chambers

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  5:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems this is my week for birds.
Not the best pictures as they are pretty camera shy.

I got out to take another photo but they immediately flew off.
This is the best I could get on quick notice with her flying.

I saw two toms, with their tail feathers spread, courting some females last week but I forget to put the chip in the camera so didn't get that shot.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

shortliner
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday we had the first Siskin of the year, they usually migrate in flocks,
however this one was solo, but it didn't stay long enough for a photo.
This morning we had a pair of goldfinches, pretty little birds,
on the seed feeder. By the time I got the camers one had been displaced
by a female greenfinch (left with a beak-full of black sunflower seed) but the other was still there on the right hand side

[URL=http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sany0083.jpg][/URL]

Edited by - shortliner on 04/21/2009 08:48:33 AM

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  12:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These finches aren't overly wild, but again they aren't tame! The goldfinches are year round residents, the males are now taking on their yellow plumage. The purple finch isn't really purple, but mostly red. Some are really brightly colored. Read somewhere a description of them - "finches dipped in raspberry juice", and it seems to fit. At our backyard feeder this morning:

Bob Boudreau

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  4:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great photos and a sure sign of spring.
Peter
BCT

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  09:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a small snake (10"-12") that we saw at our son's house in Michigan. I couldn't identify it from the "Snakes in Michigan" photos.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  09:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like a lost boa

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Page: of 76 Previous Topic: The Gallery: April 17 Modeling Plant Life Topic Next Topic: Having fun with the camera  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000