Railroad Line Forums - The 2018 "Take one down ..." Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2018 "Take one down ..." Challenge Thread
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Sierra West Machine Shop O Scale Series MT
Page: of 10

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  08:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the main thread for the first Challenge of 2018 - the "Take One Down, Don't Pass It Around" Challenge.

Participants have from now through Sunday, April 15 to work on their chosen project.

This is a simple group Challenge. Simply reach up on your shelf of unbuilt kits and take one down. Put it on your modeling table and have at it. It doesn't matter if the kit is for a structure, rolling stock, detail item, etc.

Share your build progress in this thread.

I'm hoping that we get our usual broad participation in this year's Challenge.

When you are done, you can post some final pictures in the thread dedicated to that purpose. If there is still time, take a second kit down off the shelf.

Here is the link to the "Final Pictures" thread:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49924

Let the Challenge begin!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

mountaingoatgreg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  1:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit mountaingoatgreg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have picked the Dairy King laser cut kit from Blair Line to take down and build. I have decided to make some modifications to make it not look like it just came out of the box. I also plan on adding an interior and some exterior detailing. The name will also be changed to the "Do Drop In"

Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg
https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  2:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been cleaning an area to get my build in for the Challenge. If I get the Modernized station done I'll start on the Original. This is going to be something different for me since I'm always working on motive power.

Here are the contestants:

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  4:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My entry won't begin right away as there is a locomotive that needs my attention first. Once that is taken care of, I will begin re-building or upgrading a pair of cabeese for the Ocali Creek Railway.

Download Attachment: IMG_0033.JPG
77.77 KB

Parts from Labelle, SS Ltd, Tichy, Kadee, and other bits will be used to turn these Model Power train-set quality hacks into respectable crummies.

Galen

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  5:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This will be a familiar kit: a LaBelle SOO 34' boxcar. I think one of these might have been built a couple of years ago on one of these challenges. The difference will be I will make modifications to model a Delaware Lackawanna & Western Lackawanna Lines boxcar from the era of wood and truss rods.

Not sure yet how much of the original kit will make it through the modifications.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  5:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like we are starting off with some great projects, guys!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  6:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in. I've been doing so many structure kits the last few years, I don't actually have any left on the shelf. I've got lots of other kits on the shelf but they're all military or sci-fi.

However I do have one train related one that a friend gave me to build for him. He has a good collection of static trains on display, so this will add to that.

It's a large scale 1:25 MPC model of the famous Civil War loco, "The General".
Should be fun.

And a Merry Christmas to all.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  12:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be in on this one too, as usual. I have a Bar Mills Pawn shop to build.

Greg I have the same Dari-King Kit in my collection, but I'm not sure If I'll ever have the real estate space on my layout for it.

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  12:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob - a friend likewise gave me an MPC General that he had started and had reached a point in his life where he wanted to work on other things. I have plans for it to come out unlike how it is intended, but that's another thread for another time. I look forward to seeing what you make of yours. It appears to be a great kit.

Galen

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  10:11:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As always I won’t pass up a good challenge build here on the Forum.
I’ve had this HO scale Waterfront Willy’s kit from Bar Mills for some years now. So it is a good reason to build it now, and add it to my waterfront.
Thanks Bruce we always need at extra push throughout the year to build something.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  6:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cleaned up a 1 X 2 foot area to start this Challenge.

I did some research earlier to see if the station still stands. A Google map search showed it was still standing and in use by Amtrak.

I'm debating as to whether I should try and model the clock.

There was a write up on the kit back in RMC on March 1983. Thanks to forum member wvrr, Chuck for that information. The write up was pretty spot on of the description of the kit. As simple as it looks it's definitely not a beginners kit. There are some minor flaws with the kit such as the pre-cut walls were not on the mark as far as length, plus the walls need to be pieced together. If it weren't for how the windows were laid out it would be hard to figure out what pieces mated to what. Also there is no dimensions given on the drawing as to building length. According to the write up one wall is longer than the other. You can get some idea of length and width from one of the drawings.

Note at the bottom it says that the elevation drawings are ½HO. So the building is approximately 8.240" or nearly 8¼" long. Also just noticed that the chimney looks like the original with a stack added to it. Drawing states that the modernized version had the chimney offset to the back.

More tomorrow.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 12/25/2017 6:48:25 PM

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  7:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to give it a try with Rusty Rail O scale bunkhouse kit. I'll post pictures of the kit parts soon.

Mark

W,L,&E

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  8:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there's a model close to the Ramsey station clock. Check the Walthers catalog, it might have come from a German company.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  10:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

I think there's a model close to the Ramsey station clock. Check the Walthers catalog, it might have come from a German company.

dave

Thanks Dave. I'll check it out.

Had some free time after a bite to eat and the first cup of coffee so I went to the railroad shop and worked on the station. I started by cleaning up the soft metal castings. I then worked on fitting the castings into those cut outs the kit manufacturer made. So last night I did the two ends.

This one shows the front and back. The curved top was sanded to fit the window contour for a very close fit.

This one shows the cut out. Sort of redundant but everybody likes pictures, right?

So this morning I came up with a better way of removing the access material by making the curve between the two cut outs and using my fret saw with a fine toothed blade to cut out the material.

Now I just need to do a bit of sanding to make it fit.

That'll be it for a couple of days. Need to go out now and shovel the frozen water to move the vehicles back were they belong.

Bernd

mountaingoatgreg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  12:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit mountaingoatgreg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Do-Drop-In construction has begun! First I try not to have the same buildings as everyone else, so I wanted to make it unique. After examining the kit the first thing I decided to do was flip the building which was easily done by turning the foundation piece over. The next step was to figure out where all the walls were going to go and I modified the location of the back door, bathroom and utility room.

Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg
https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  12:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

It appears like you have a great start on your project. See, you can build a structure, and you are not only known as the Master of Brass!

Rich

Page: of 10 Topic Next Topic: Sierra West Machine Shop O Scale Series MT  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000