Railroad Line Forums - how long does it take
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 how long does it take
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: NBWs Topic Next Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds
Page: of 2

dickgreen
New Hire

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  11:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read most of the build threads here. Really amazing craftsmanship. I was wondering how many hours does it take to build one of the fsm masterpieces like Swakhammers or sierra west Oniels?

they are expensive but if amortized over many hours they may be a relatively inexpensive pastime.

At least thats what Ill tell my wife LOL

Dick

nortonw
New Hire

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  01:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dick, there is no one answer to that question. Build time depends on many variables. Your expertise, your tools available, your focus, etc. One could estimate based on some generalities but I would be surprised if anyone could answer that with any degree of accuracy. What might take me oh, 60-70 hours might take you 40 or 90. Really no way to tell. Of course you could always work s-l-o-w-l-y to make your tale to the wife valid. ;-)

Norton

The V & T may live again, in my garage.

tloc
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  06:11:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto to what Norton says. No way to tell. Just tell the wife the true cost!

Your speed may vary
TomO

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  07:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dick,

When I opened my train shop in the 1970s, I was amazed at how many grown men asked me to falsify the price on a kit.

It would have been less humiliating for them to just go to the stationary store, Staples/Office Depot, and buy some of those little round price tags and a Sharpy and write:

Reduced
$25

One package of those little price tags would last them for their entire marriage.

Shortly after I got married 47 years ago, my wife and I were in Frank's Hobby in Orange, CA.

I was looking at a D&RGW brass 2-8-2.

My wife said, "Honey, why don't you buy two of them?"

She has been like that for 47 years.

No little fake price tags needed in mt life.

I'm truly sorry so many men do need them.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  08:50:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i've been working on swsm o'neill's since april and i'm not even close to being finished, so its kind of an arbitrary question. if i didn't have to work for a living i'd venture to say i would be finished with it by now. the answer depends more on available time than anything else. would i purchase o'neill's again? heck yes. it's a great kit....

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  09:20:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$$$ cost is moot.

discuss "value."

if she cannot understand, go buy a new set of golf clubs or take up the horses.

she'll come 'round soon enough.

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  09:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lifetime if you take your time. Just buy it!

Then the snowball effect kicks in..

Philip

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  1:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would suggest a Campbell's kit from eBay. I think any Campbell's kit (maybe a station) would be a buffer for any FSM kit. Maybe a Bar Mills kit. No sense in starting out big and then losing interest in the hobby on something you are not experienced with

John

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  2:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dick, first welcome to the forum.

You are absolutely correct that the cost of entertainment for a kit from Serra West Scale Models or Fine Scale Miniatures has a big price tag up front, but the time invested makes the kit inexpensive overall, about $2.00 US per hour in my case. I'm also including other supplies (paint, knife blades, glue, paper towels, etc) in the $2/hr estimate. But note that I'm a long time modeler with a small personalized hobby shop of modeling supplies. This means that I don't need to obtain tools like a Northwest Chopper, which a newer modeler may want to obtain.

What I am trying to explain is that your modeling experience will probably work to affect your cost in both the construction time and expenses. Another variable is how familiar you are working with the kit mfg. mediums/techniques and the extent of weathering effects and scenic modeling your including on the diorama. An experienced modeler may also be making jigs/fixtures to assist in the construction process and that will also affect the cost and time factors.

Thus, I totally concur with the comments indicating that your question is very difficult to answer. But I suggest that you allow 200-300 hrs/kit as a crude guess.

As a final note, I want to express that John has a big point. If you have not modeled much (2-3 kits) or its been many years since you have done any modeling, you may want to take your time working into a big kit. That said, the kits you're considering have instructions which if followed closely and the kit is buiilt with care, will produce a outstanding diorama.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 12/20/2017 2:23:47 PM

dickgreen
New Hire

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  4:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks KP
Your answer is what I was looking for I'm not asking how long it should take me I'm asking how long it takes you. I have been modeling fro quite a few years. have built Campbell, scale structures limited, and scratch built quite a few. I know My time would be 6-8 hours a week for at least 6 months. Im just curious about others
Dick

nortonw
New Hire

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  5:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pardon me for being slightly annoying here. Those of us who replied to your question replied based on what you wrote. I/we understand that was not what you were looking for now. But I must point out that if you had asked that question more specifically, you would have gotten the answer you were looking for. The more appropriate way to ask the question would have been, "how many hours does it take (you) to build one of the fsm masterpieces." The replies you got would probably have been different and more what you were looking for. Sorry for being a bit pedantic.

Norton

The V & T may live again, in my garage.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  6:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Campbell's kit that has lasted me 35 years, still not finished.

Jim

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  8:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Jim

Jim,
I'm working on a Campbell kit that is probably older than that. Still make great buildings; but the wood does dry out and cutting out the die-cut windows and doors is a sometimes overwhelming

John

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  3:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to post this yesterday, and I'm still thinking about it today after seeing some of the other replies. I have several FSM kits, Sierra West , and others. BUT, I choose to scratchbuild them instead, without using any of the kit components. I have done some in as little time as two months, just nights and weekends. I am in no way bragging at all , just a fact. I have been able to do that because my wife did my household chores during those builds. She knew I was in a challenge build and my time to completion was limited, plus I pushed myself to finish on time.
The only her factors involved are how long does it take to make it appear "real"!
Rich

dickgreen
New Hire

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  3:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich
thanks for the reply. I work retail and that enails many evenings. The evenings Im home I spene with my wife. Funny you mention scratch buildinng. I just finished a scratched campbell Hamilton's. I got the kit on ebay basically for the plans. I wanted it to be clapboard. Im now doing the detailing which happens as I am able to acquire them. All told I have probably 3o hours in the last two months invested in this. Probably another 30 in making and painting details, and scenicing a diorama
Dick

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  3:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Jim

What you really mean is you've given up a lot of time to make the coffee & breakfast every morning!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: NBWs Topic Next Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000