Railroad Line Forums - Hobbytown of Boston
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Diesel Shop
 Hobbytown of Boston
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Alco Haulics Unanimus Topic Next Topic: Trouble Shooting a Varney NW2  

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  11:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recently read (December RMC, maybe also in NMRA Magazine) that Hobbytown of Boston HO scale diesel parts and kits are available again. I took a look and it looks like I can get what I need for a couple of incomplete kits I got years ago. Mr. De Bennedetto says his line will be stocked at a new Hobbytown USA shop opening this weekend in Tom's River, NJ. If anyone on the forum gets photos of the new stuff, feel free to post them here (web site has no pictures).

http://hobbytownofboston.com/

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  11:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was so happy to see Hobbytown back that I got out my modestly re-worked and detailed Hobbytown RS-3 B&M 1538 and started a DC Sunday on my layout:

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  1:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm signed up on his news letter. I was quite excited to see you can purchase the new plastic helical gears. That is what I really liked about those drives. I sent Nick a couple of pics of my project engines. No response yet.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  3:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me, James, but I really think you need to add another "C" to that "DC" part....

That RS-3 wants to play with its friends....

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  10:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mr. De Benedetto's News column makes it clear he's thinking about making Hobbytown more compatible with DCC's needs, but 1538's motor is of the Pittman ilk, and wants most of an Ampere under a heavy load. And any sound I installed would have to be pretty loud to overcome the gear and motor cogging noise.

I have several Cary shells around awaiting chassis; most likely they'll be my first venture into DCC vs. Hobbytown. Delrin helical gears, can motor, it'll be a different world...

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  08:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

<snip>

I have several Cary shells around awaiting chassis; most likely they'll be my first venture into DCC vs. Hobbytown. Delrin helical gears, can motor, it'll be a different world...

...Which you'll master with grace and style. Looking forward to this.

Pete
in Michigan

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  09:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Found pictures of my two Hobbytown of Boston projects.

The Alco PA project with a Swiss 9 pole ball bearing motor that will power the unit.

The Cary S2/4 project. Waiting for some 6 pole motors to arrive from an E-bay vendor.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Edited by - Bernd on 12/02/2018 12:28:19 PM

Previous Topic: Alco Haulics Unanimus Topic Next Topic: Trouble Shooting a Varney NW2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000