Railroad Line Forums - Paint
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: buford763 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Paint
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging High Wheel Build Topic Next Topic: A New Scratchbuild Concept: The Tail Of The Pup HO  

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  10:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am getting into a little oil painting for highlights and whatever. At one of the clinics at the structures expo Doug was talking about useing more oils and just wondered what colors everyone is suggesting so I donít buy too many of thewronf. Now Iím doing a slate roof with light blues a little brute green and grays. What do you think. Tom

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  11:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

Oils, like other coatings, can produce some very interesting effects. Since it takes them awhile to set up "solid," they can also be worked for longer periods than can, say, acrylics or enamels, both of which dry pretty quickly.

Best advice I can give you is to try them, play around with them, see what kinds of results you can get and drive on.

Have fun!

Pete
in Michigan

<edit>: To answer your question, though, I'd go with siennas, umbers, black, white and Payne's grey for starters. Add in your blues, too.... -p

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 12/06/2017 11:04:39 AM

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  11:13:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, you pretty well named the colors you're after. I might also suggest a Payne Grey for a shadow wash as Payne Grey has a dark blue component which represents shadow more realistically than a 'black' wash. A bit of 'Bone' or off white will probably be useful in changing the tone of some of your colors as will a bit of a light 'French Grey'.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 12/06/2017 11:15:03 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  11:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

Tom, you pretty well named the colors you're after. I might also suggest a Payne Grey for a shadow wash as Payne Grey has a dark blue component which represents shadow more realistically than a 'black' wash. A bit of 'Bone' or off white will probably be useful in changing the tone of some of your colors as will a bit of a light 'French Grey'.

Truth. Black and white are very stark colors. Yes, they have their places and uses, but consider using them to modify other colors to get the effect you want.

Pete
in Michigan

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  1:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oils are great because they are translucent and you can play with them for a while before they dry. The down side is that they take a while to dry fully. When I painted armour (ie tanks) I used a "dot filter" technique. You can look it up on Youtube. I used blue, yellow, white, brown and it just gave a patina of wear along with some streaking. If you don't like it - just wipe it off. If you are shading, remember that the best colours to shade with are complementary colours and not Black (blue or green on red, orange on green, etc).
Cheers,
Dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  5:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing to use black for is shadows (and even then it's often too stark.) Use dark grey (Neutral Grey #8 or #9 or equivalent) You can buy set of artist markers in neutray grey tones.

I like armor modeler Panzer Grey for "black" on models, it's about "N7".

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  4:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone I knew I could count on all of you. I went to the art store and picked a few more colors. BABY STEPS.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  5:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom,
One thing to consider, when painting trees for example, don't use one color. Use several greens, and include several browns. Here is a picture I painted last year called "Horses Guards". Notice the color variation of all the trees. The same thing for ground color.

And a close up:

Hope this helps.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  5:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Nice Tony.

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  6:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Tony is a most talented dude.
Very nice.
ed

PufferS
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  03:36:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

I use oil paints quite often for shadow effects. I think them to a wash and apply them to detail parts and Presier/Woodland Scenics figures. I think the results are quite good.

Seth P.
Minnesota

PufferS
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  03:37:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry...should have been THIN them to a wash.

Seth P.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  11:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed k

That Tony is a most talented dude.
Very nice.
ed

Jerry and Ed, thank you. I wish I didn't have an island layout, as I could make some killer backdrops, I think. But one thing I thought of doing, and I say this as ideas for others who have an island layout, is to do a backdrop to place on the edge for those photo shoots, but made removable. One could have a few brackets around the outside and the "backdrop" could have some 'studs' (sorry, ladies, not that kind), to slot them into.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Previous Topic: Louís Logging High Wheel Build Topic Next Topic: A New Scratchbuild Concept: The Tail Of The Pup HO  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000