Railroad Line Forums - Cutting sheet products
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Cutting sheet products
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Making trees from ming fern Topic Next Topic: The proper method of wrapping or winding line  

JayRs
New Hire

Posted - 10/28/2017 :  12:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit JayRs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm just starting out building some craftsman kits and trying to develop the needed skills. One of these is to accurately cut wood or plastic sheet goods. The three basic cuts I'm thinking about are 1) a straight cut, 2) a two sided interior cut (think of a "L", and 3) and interior box (think a window cut out).

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks- Jay

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2017 :  12:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jay,

For straight cuts of sheet - a good steel straight edge and a sharp knife with a #11 blade. Personally I purchase #11's by the 100-pack and change blades often. More often than you think.

For the inside corners many folks use a right-angle punch. While not cheap Micromark has some nice ones.

If the sheet is particularly dry then masking tape helps prevent splitting.

Edited by - RichBeau on 10/28/2017 1:56:10 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2017 :  12:58:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To what Rich said, let me add, "make several light passes, rather than one cut-through-the-first-time pass." Also, you can glue fine sandpaper onto the back of your straightedge (spray glue or transfer tape), which will help prevent the straightedge from moving. Don't use your good measuring ruler as a straightedge, it will mess up the ruler, and more importantly, they're usually so thin your knife is likely to slip and cut your fingers!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2017 :  2:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with both Rich and Dave on all aspects of the above, but I also measure window openings then use a square to make sure they are perfectly square before cutting.
Rich

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2017 :  2:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

I agree with both Rich and Dave on all aspects of the above, but I also measure window openings then use a square to make sure they are perfectly square before cutting.
Rich

And if you cut slightly inside the opening's perimeter lines, you can then carefully file out to the necessary dimension or until the insert fits the hole.

Pete
in Michigan

JayRs
New Hire

Posted - 10/28/2017 :  10:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit JayRs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the responses. I didn't know about a right-angle punch. Seems like it would handle the inside corners very nicely.

-Jay

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2017 :  11:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jay,

When cutting styrene sheet you can score it a few times and finish the cut by bending and snapping it apart. Styrene particularly dulls blades quickly

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2017 :  11:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jay, take a look at the "ZONA" graphic artists knife. It is a razor knife. The blades last much longer then the No. 11 blades. I use this knife exclusively with balsa and bass woods. I also have a large collection of Exacto Knifes, but rarely use them.. As far as straight edges. There are rulers made for cutting with a handle in the middle.
They are excellent. They are named "DUROEDGE".

Both items are on Amazon, for about $14.00 for both...Worth a look at least..

ted :<)

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  12:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted probably bought his Duroedge 30 years ago.

Today's Amazon pricing is as follows.
8 inch 17.00
13.5 inch 24.00
19.5 inch 30.00
25.5 inch 44.00

ed

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  07:46:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An alternative to those scales is an aluminum triangle scale that Engineers use. Staedtler has one on Amazon for $6.51

Staedtler 12-Inches Engineer Aluminum Triangular Scale

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00094GVM8/ref=psdc_1069364_t1_B01MQSQJCJ

and another by OCM for $12.99 at
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQSQJCJ/ref=dp_sp_detail?psc=1

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  07:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some tools I buy are from Woodpeckers. These tools are all hand made using CNC machines, and are extremely accurate.

One I like is their T-square.
https://www.woodpeck.com/tsquare.html

They are a little expensive, but the quality is top notch. Watch their video, gives you a good idea on how they work. The 12" would be my choice for modeling, the longer ones for woodworking (which I also do).

They have a lot more tools of which many I use on my models only.

A good one I didn't know they has is:
A square:
https://www.woodpeck.com/641851.html

They also have a "one-time tool" which is a limited production. The last one I bought is their triangle:
https://www.woodpeck.com/4590sstriangles.html#3307

Just thought I'd share.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  2:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, Good information. Thank you. A use the triangle most of the time.
ed

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  3:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed k

Ted probably bought his Duroedge 30 years ago.

Today's Amazon pricing is as follows.
8 inch 17.00
13.5 inch 24.00
19.5 inch 30.00
25.5 inch 44.00

ed

Actually Edward', I bought it 3 years ago' 8 inch..$8.00 bucks. Amazon has been increasing their prices. How do think Jeff Bezos is now the richest man and King of the world'..

Tony, Woodpecker, nice stuff, but a little pricey for modeling'...

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 10/29/2017 3:31:11 PM

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  2:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the OLFA artist knife with the 30 snap-off blades. A thinner blade than a #11 and doesn't "spread" the wood when cutting. https://www.amazon.com/OLFA-9150US-Stainless-Auto-Lock-Graphics/dp/B000BKA6IA

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  9:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is the same one I use Dave'..works great and like you said...NO splitting'...Never'...And 0 Zero hand pressure required for cutting...

Previous Topic: Making trees from ming fern Topic Next Topic: The proper method of wrapping or winding line  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000