Railroad Line Forums - YA3DP
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 YA3DP
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: In-ko-pah RR: New project Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the White house. Finale.
Page: of 8

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  12:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for a finished project this time around Jim!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  09:10:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks George, I need someone to keep me on my toes.

Jim

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  09:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry, You hold the record I believe, on procrastinated projects. [:D} Although the machine shop is coming out fantastic.

Jim

Take the red pill

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  10:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

That was a close one on the oops.

Do you think the animations you built while this model lay fallow helped you figure out a solution?

Building the mechanism in the roundhouse rather than below it makes a lot of sense.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/05/2021 10:12:16 AM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  10:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I'd say it contributed to my thinking of what doesn't work. Especially with the small components I was dealing with on the Tilt-n-Hurl, and the Ferris Wheel. The 1mm X 3mm bearings were too easy to mess up with the most minute amount of CA during construction. That, and crawling around under the layout doing trial and error tuning and troubleshooting is becoming more unappealing with my back and neck issues. Thanks for checking it out.

Jim

Jim

Take the red pill

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  11:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Jerry, You hold the record I believe, on procrastinated projects. [:D} Although the machine shop is coming out fantastic.

I thought Jerry was building a rock crusher.

Jim, have you tried sleeping on it?

Frank

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  11:29:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duh, Frank, I thought the 'Machine Shop' was still in Limbo? He had cool machine shop tools, lathe, mill, shaper, etc. Maybe I missed the completion of it.

The Rock crusher Version 2.0 started in 2020.

Sleeping on the roundhouse???

Jim

Take the red pill

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  2:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zzzzzzzxxxzz someone mention sleeping?

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  09:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried updating last night, and after hitting the post new reply button, the system never replied. I'll try again this morning.

After finding the sweet spot on the door bracket, I made 5 new pieces.

I didn't the red hinges that I built, because paint would not adhere to the TPU material they were printed with. Now, 3 years later the TPU filament is offered in many colors, including gray. So I decided to swap out the hinges. Well after the first retrofit, I decided to replace the entrance doorways with the new hinges, and the bracket together. So back to the printer and make 5 new front entrances.

Before installing the new doorways, I made and drilles the new pivot block for the servo control. The blocks are 3 mm cubes.

The .032 phosphor bronze wire will act to push the doors open and pull the doors shut with the use of a servo.

After getting those new parts constructed, pulled the old doorways off, and replace all of the old parts. This was more of a hassle and time consuming that I thought it would be.

Here is the interior of those doors.

The next shot give a wider view of what the interior will look like, the 2 control wires will converge at the individual servos. They will be mounted in the top of the ceiling which is is closer to the fronf of this view.[b][b]

That's the current stopping point.

Jim

Take the red pill

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  09:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim do you think those guide blocks will cause too much friction? I was wondering if you really need the guides. Just go from the servo to the 3mm door block.

Frank

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  10:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool stuff going on here...

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  10:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, there seems to be no or little resistance caused by the blocks. I've made another set of 'guides' that the PB wires whould maintain a path to keep the wires from getting in the way of a locomotive. A test with the mule and the servo looked like there wasn't a noticeable strain of the servo.

Jim

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  10:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Cool stuff going on here...

Wait'll you see the turntable!

Jim

Take the red pill

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  10:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was kinda thinking along the line of Frank's comment. You don't have much leverage to open the doors. However, I think the master has taken that into account.

George

Fly Army

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  10:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

I was kinda thinking along the line of Frank's comment. You don't have much leverage to open the doors. However, I think the master has taken that into account.

George

You guys might end up being right. I was more concerned about mounting the 3 mm pivot blocks closer to the top of the doors and having the pb wire droop into the engine path. Still have ability to change if needed.

Jim

Take the red pill

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: In-ko-pah RR: New project Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the White house. Finale.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000