Railroad Line Forums - YA3DP
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 212 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 YA3DP
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: In-ko-pah RR: New project Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the White house. Finale.
Page: of 8

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  7:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim...Your work is just OUTSTANDING ! Nothing like seeing all your efforts come together in a final product. Nice job.

GULF COAST & WESTERN

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  09:17:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John, I've been so engrossed in my "challenge" project that I missed your comment.

Jim

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2021 :  10:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The resurrected Roundhouse that has sat in limbo for the past 3+ years will be part of the 2021 Challenge. The emphasis will be to open the doors at the right time, right doors, at the right track, and not crash out of the back wall!

Jim

Take the red pill

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  12:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim. Nice to see this build resurrected. Where you left off was looking good, so will be nice to see it finished.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  05:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with all the previous comments and all I can add is, I AM IMPRESSED!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  06:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob and Bob! The Carousel, Tilt-n-Hurl (Frank Palmer rename), and the Ferris Wheel were all distractions while I tried to devise a mechanism to open and close the doors. I've got a design in mind, but I'll have to buils a mock-up test bed to prove that it will work as intended. We'll see where that goes. The interior need a lot of work, as well as some lighting. Still a long way on this side of the rail. On the other side is the turntable that I have been building some parts for, and yet to see something that looks like a turntable.

Jim

Take the red pill

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  07:18:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is going to be interesting to follow, Jim.

George

Fly Army

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  12:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jim, you're ability to use 3D tools and create operating mechanism is amazing! The roundhouse is terrific!

David Guffey

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  09:07:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

An engine house that stalled, hum.

Frank

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  09:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, I hope so!

Dave, thanks!

OK, Frank.

A question I had was how well do/did the hinges I made, hold up after 3 years?

NO DETERIORATION!!!

I'm good with that.

Jim

Take the red pill

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  10:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved this roundhouse build and this is you at your best, IMHO. Pictures, reasons, theories, good skills in explaining and then the product. Thanks for bringing this back to finish to your satisfaction.

Your explanation on the actual build costs in response to MarkF., is what got me to make a purchase for the daughters craft shop. For that I am thankful and she is an enthusiastic user of now 3-3D printers. I was and still not in the mood to learn how to use the software. But I can sketch and she interprets into a product for me. For that thanks Jim.

Build on...

TomO

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  12:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Just ran across this thread. I have enjoyed reading through it and your explanations of FDM printing.
We have one where I work along with two resin machines, and it is always interesting to watch them build/grow parts.

Great job so far! I feel your pain trying to glue and paint that flexible material. I've been trying to find a solution for years.
Two methods to paint polypropylene (very flexible and slippery) is to flame treat it or bead blast it.

I thought you might enjoy this link to a laser cut Z scale roundhouse.

Scott
https://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php?threads/np-lester-wa-t-trak-z-module-set-project.129952/

Scott

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  1:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, get crackin' on a Challenge project!

Scott, thanks for that link, I love the Z Scale stuff, always have, but can't handle that intricate skill that it takes any more.

Jim

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  8:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After hunting around in the past projects box AKA scrapbox, I couldn't find the pieces I needed to make up a mule to test out some design thoughts. I've been asked "how do you figure out how to animate your models?" It is very straight forward, make it simple! Every mechanical machine ever built has a simple machine inside. You know, lever, inclined plane, wheel and axle, yada, yada, yada. If you reduce what you want to do, to it's simplest denominator, you are on your way. OK enough of General Science 101.

So I went back to the folder where I had the original parts saved. In a mere couple of hours ( It took a long time to remember where that 'special place' I had stored the files was at ) I reprinted and assembled one doorway, two doors, and hinges.

After really looking at what I was up against, I decided, there will be no displayed interior. I decided that the servos I'll use will be mounted above the track vs trying it below the roundhouse. I wanted to be able to lift the roundhouse off the layout in the event of a derailed locomotive stuck in there. There are pros and cons to location choice.There will be plenty of other issues to tackle. The 5 servos will operate independently and collectively with an Arduino device as the controller I'll program. I don't want to open the doors to send a locomotive into a slot already occupied. So occupancy detection is another requirement. I also want to deactivate power to the track that the locomotive is setting on. Onward..

Here is the inside looking out view of the doors. They will open outwardly. I plan on using steel wire to push open the doors, and pull them back closed. The penciled target is where I want the wire to hit the door, but I also need to be able to retract the doors to the closed position. This will make me to consider that linkage.

I drew up a sketch and put dimensions on it to do a test of the idea. Here is the first CAD drawing.

It' laying on it's side and should look like this

You can see the holes where the steel wire will travel to the face of the door. So I held the part in place, inserted a piece of wire and.... failure! The holes were too close to the doors edge, and it would not produce enough 'throw' to open the door all the way.

I'm remembering simple machines now. So, I changed a few dimensions and produced this part.

No problem getting those doors to swing out like a cheap Western's saloon doors! However, something just didn't look quite Kosher!

Das U-boat no fit through doorway!Yep, the old doublebanger!
Finally, I came up with the Goldilocks version and it was 'just right'.

I raised the pads higher off the mounting bracket so I've got room to fit the closure links that will retract the doors. Enough for today!

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 01/04/2021 9:46:55 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  9:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like following your thought process, Jim. The design work is 90% of the build the actual construction is a piece of cake.

George

Fly Army

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: In-ko-pah RR: New project Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the White house. Finale.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000