Railroad Line Forums - YA3DP
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 144 ]  [ Total: 147 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 YA3DP
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: In-ko-pah RR: New project Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the White house. Finale.
Page: of 8

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  10:21:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Carl, did you sit in my clinic in Orlando? That name rings a bell. Future, who knows? I'm having just as much fun building cars, lighting bridges, brackets (for those darn 44 pin digitrax connectors) that I needed, or the experimental roundhouse. Anything to challenge my brain and keep it active.

Jim

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  10:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave,

Seeing the excellent work you've been doing on the Hillside structures, you're a prime candidate for getting into 3D printing. If you can draw and visualize it, you can more than likely build it.

Jim

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  10:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

We were all glad to hear that you guys made it through the storm in good shape. It's not fantastic yet, still a lot of work to do, both electromechanical and detailing. I've still got less than $20.00 worth of material (less glue and primer ) in it. Darn primer was $7.00

Jim

Take the red pill

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  4:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jim, do the 3D printers require cadd drawings?

David Guffey

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  5:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Your plan of servo-controlled doors is interesting and sort of stirs up the gray matter. I had working hinges on engine house doors I built twenty years ago but they were pretty delicate and I rarely operated them.

I wonder whether you need to somehow separate the functional hinges from cosmetic dummy hinges. You don't see the working parts. What you see are the modeled strap hinges.

In any case I suspect working hinges will have to be more robust than something that is to scale.

Mike

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  7:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Yes, you'll need to have a CAD program. I use Autodesk Fusion 360 which is FREE to hobbyists, and is full featured, no limited ability to fool around with. If you download it, just sign up as a hobbyist, and as long as you don't make a $100,000 with it, it's free.

Mike,

I ordered some PTFE teflon tubing to use as the hinge sleeve that Dave Emery used. I'm thinking I'll sleeve the entire side of the door. I'm also thinking that teflon is pretty hard to glue, so I'm probably going to try and imbed the sleeve into the door itself. Kinda like those guys that can pull your T-shirt off without taking off your regular shirt. The teflon tubing is .7mm OD and the door will be 1.75 mm thick, so I'll have a whopping .5mm on either side of the tubing. We'll see how that works.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 09/14/2017 7:48:55 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  8:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Jim, I wasn't at the clinic you gave. There seems to be a lot of Carls/Karls in this world!

But I did attend the "National Train Show", if you can still call it that.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  8:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, that makes sense to me.

- Mike

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  3:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After months of looking for hinges that would work, and Vector-Cut not being back yet (hopefully soon), I went another route. Building my own.

This cold weather has really put a damper on my experimentation, but today I was able to get some results.

I found a company out in New York that has come up with a flexible 3D filament material. It is very unwieldly to work with on my printer. It is so flexible that it doesn't want to feed in properly, and that is what I've been trying to solve. I drew up my proposed hinge with the CAD program.

The length is 4mm, width 1.5mm, and .7mm thick. + or - considering I'm extruding the material at 250C.

So my first test was to test the ability of the printer to make such a small part, and then see if the material was able to be glued. (Wife suggested .01 mm bolts )

Excuse the test pieces which are 1 mm thick scraps.

I used Locktite Pro Superglue on the backside of the hinges to glue them in place. 20 minutes later, the test.

I've bent the 'door' back and forth probably a thousand times with no sign of failure. Probably the biggest problem now will be painting the hinge. I don't think even something like the flex additive that is put into auto bumper covers would hold up. So, I'll see if the supplier can supply me some rust colored material.

Doors need to be made, and then back on tract.

Jim

Take the red pill

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  3:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good to me, Jim!

Have you considered hitting those red hinges with some "rusty" Pan Pastels? That might work in lieu of "rusty" plastic....

Pete
in Michigan

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  3:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete, I haven't got that far in the thought process. I'm thinking I'd need to seal it, maybe not. Any sealer would tend to stiffen the flexibility. I'll try it, nothing to lose except some dust.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 12/30/2017 4:00:47 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  3:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us know!

Pete
in Michigan

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  4:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Amazing!!

David Guffey

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  7:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I imagine this stuff would be able to make some good looking O-Scale and larger hinges. I'm pushing 1.75 mm filament through a .35mm nozzle with these. A 1 mm nozzle would be an easier job, but almost impossible for HO. Maybe I can switch to a .5 mm nozzle without too much hassle.

Jim

Take the red pill

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2017 :  10:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, I'd suggest if the Locktite Pro Superglue stuck to the back side why not give the front side a coat and maybe the paint will stick to the glue primed surface.

Frank

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: In-ko-pah RR: New project Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the White house. Finale.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000