Railroad Line Forums - YA3DP
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 169 ]  [ Total: 169 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 YA3DP
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: In-ko-pah RR: New project Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the White house. Finale.
Page: of 8

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  09:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure it is Jim. I have yet to see one of these in person but am fascinated as to what can be done with one. Of course, it makes me wonder just how much this will change our hobby. To be able to just print out a wall, a part, etc., just amazes me.

Mark

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  12:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update on the build...

I'll add another bay while working on the siding next.

Jim

Take the red pill

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  11:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Jim!

Question... I was talking about your thread the other night and one of the guys in my group made the comment on how expensive 3D printing still is. I mentioned that I thought you said that it was like a couple of dollars to do the one stall and he said impossible! He mentioned a thread on Model Railroad Hobbyist where the guy did a 3D printing of a wood chip car that he calculated cost him about $172! Apparently the cost of the printing is related to detail?

I'm confused! Care to comment and educate us a little?

Mark

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  2:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

I'm going to answer your question and debunk the mystery. Whoever paid $172 for a wood chip car, I've got a bridge for sale. Maybe the guy in your group got a decimal point in the wrong place. There are some folks that are so set in their thinking, that they just don't want to change their view. So here are some screen shots of ACTUAL parts, and their cost. A kilogram of the filament used was $19.99. The roof panel which was the largest single part, used 21.24 grams of filament. That's 103 panels from a single kilogram spool. In 11 months of use, I'm on my third spool of filament.

The printer working on a roof panel.

No decimal error, it's $.40 (forty cents.)

A $.24 frame member. 2 required to add a bay.

The least amount of filament used. $.01

The 40+ parts I printed for the Depressed Center Pipe Car cost less than $5.00, in fact the couplers cost me more than the car.

If the $172 car guy went out and bought parts off of a third party printer, or paid someone to draw, print, paint, and assemble his car, I can't figure it out. You can end the myths by looking at the pictures. A little education and practice is a great asset. So many Public Libraries have 3D printers, most of the software is free, etc., etc. Hope this explains a little.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 09/04/2017 2:18:40 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  12:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the proof is in the pudding, or in this case, on the screen! I can't imagine the difference and I know so little about this fascinating technology, all I have to go on right now is what I am told, but seeing what you posted makes me a believer. Thanks for the information.

I know this is becoming more and more common so I have to believe that one day soon, one of those things will be in my house as well.

Keep us posted on your progress. It's looking great!

Mark

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  6:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love that International Orange, was the color inspired by the Golden Gate bridge?

Frank

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  11:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Love that International Orange, was the color inspired by the Golden Gate bridge?

Why, yes it was. Actually I got it cheap, and used it to make some mounting bracket for those 44 pin connectors that Digitrax uses. So, when I got the hairbrained idea of a roundhouse, that was the plastic I had loaded. I just finished the last beam and I've got about 12 feet of filament left on the spool. Switching to green for the doors and trim. I'll paint it all before I put a complete check on it.
Funny because as I was working with the orange plastic, I thought I was Tony Bennett.

Jim

Take the red pill

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2017 :  08:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim as always nice work.

TomO

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2017 :  12:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
Don't confuse the issue with facts, alternative or otherwise! I must say that I am impressed by how inexpensive 3D printing can be. I guess once you have all the design done, etc., the cheapest part is the actual materials. The roundhouse is looking great, by the way.
Cheers,
dave

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  4:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tom and David. David, you are 100% correct, the biggest expense is in the design and educating one's self in how it all works. Once you've made that investment, you get some pretty nice results. Like I mentioned before, some public libraries or schools have the printers. The time it takes my machine to build a part is very much dictated by the very small nozzle (.35mm) for the extrusions. I trade off speed for precision. Here's the latest on the roundhouse.

I've stopped at 5 bays. The center roof sections are printing using white filament as I finally ran out of Frank Palmer Orange.
It'll all be painted light gray primer in a couple of days. I made up some 4mm wide ridgecap that came out pretty good and it will be added later.

Jim

Take the red pill

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  5:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking good, Jim.

George

Fly Army

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  5:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Impressive.

Frank Palmer orange? Not Illinois orange (and blue)?

Mike

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  7:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work, Jim.
ed

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  7:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Jim! Very nicely done!

Pete
in Michigan

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  10:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most excellent.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: In-ko-pah RR: New project Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the White house. Finale.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000