Railroad Line Forums - YA3DP
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 252 ]  [ Total: 255 ]  [ Newest Member: Stuart W ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 YA3DP
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 26 Flatcar in Fn3 Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the Church 2-25-21
Page: of 14

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2021 :  4:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, after waiting weeks for that 360 servo to arrive, and the specifications in Chinese print -> #36825;#26159;#19968;#20010;#19981;#22909;#30340;#20135;#21697;#20013;#22269;#22403;#22334; <- I pulled the plug on it.

Scott, are you sure you want to be a scratchbuilder?

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 02/13/2021 4:27:32 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2021 :  09:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear ya'

or Good Luck.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 02/14/2021 09:32:28 AM

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2021 :  11:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey, did you guys learn Chinese by eating too many fortune cookies?

David Guffey

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  1:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, ever notice you never see a cat near a Chinese restaurant?

It's been a while since an update on this project....

After the shift from the servo to the stepper motor the project, 'things' got a little wackier than usual here. First motion with the stepper motor caused a significant increase in the torque applied, and the related stress to the structure. So I had to reinforce the undercarriage.

The new precision power stepper motor 'smoked' the unit below on the left. Something called an H-Bridge and about $2 on eBay. This of course necessitated the unit on right. More time waiting for that unit to show up. (and not $2.)

We won't get into the shiny new 12 volt 30 AMP power supply I'm feeding it with. It will actually run with a 5 Amp Supply, but I can always use another piece of energy sapping equipment. The real problem with the new stepper motor drive was that it uses a technique called 'microstepping' (Think of PeeWee Herman dancing to Tequila at that biker bar.) Microstepping is a whole different way of positioning the stepper to the location you want it to get to. A bipolar stepper has 2 coils inside, and the armature moves by polarity shifting the coils electrically. Microstepping energizes the coils with less and more power to push and pull the armature through rotation at a more controlled rate. Very much like a DCC equipped engine. So it's not magic, but did require a lot of rethinking the devices.

A few days of light reading, some splinters from scratching my head, a few more days and...

writing just over a hundred lines of code. It worked.

By way of button control, I can select which roundhouse track I want to align with, either deposit or receive an engine, push another button and rotate the table to the correct roundhouse door. After the movement problems were solved, I started to restart work on the rest of turntable. The rail was painted and given a more finished look. I also added the hand rails.

Last shot of this update is the added control hut and captive worker.

After the pit is painted, I'll switch back to the Roundhouse side.

Jim

Take the red pill

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  2:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I tried to understand what you are doing, but I just couldn't get past the vision of Pewee Herman dancing.

George

Fly Army

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  3:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some real engineering going on here.

Nice job Jim.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  3:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George and Carl, two guys that know engineering, thanks for checking it out!

Jim

Take the red pill

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  4:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heard some noise in the shop and had to stop by to see what going on.

Looks like some good progress toward a spinning turntable. That's quite the structure you engineered under that turntable. Can't wait to see that first engine take a spin.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  08:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As always Bernd, your comments are most welcome.

Jim

Take the red pill

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  08:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, you've convinced me. I'm going with an Armstrong Mechanism.

Nice work, Jim.

Bruce

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  08:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea what your talking about in electricity!
But I sure do like your work and a great thread to watch you put this all together!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  11:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce and Jerry!

I just came in from the shop to cut the 2" foamboard I bought 2 days ago. The local lumberyard sold me 2" Dupont Blue foamboard. They don't carry the pink variety. As I was cutting it, it seemed flimsy to me. Watch out for 2" Blue Foamboard from Dupont! It is called SCOREBOARD and every foot, it has a channel formed inside it, to break.

Jim

Take the red pill

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  1:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

It is called SCOREBOARD and every foot, it has a channel formed inside it, to break.
Jim
American(?) engineering, programmed to break. Think of the fingers they’ve saved by predesigning the weak points right in.

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  6:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I thought electronics were supposed to "SAVE" time.

Frank

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  8:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It actually looks like a fun project. And you can't argue with the results. so the Arduino controls through the microstep driver? how many tracks can it control?
Looking Good too.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 03/03/2021 8:04:50 PM

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: 26 Flatcar in Fn3 Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the Church 2-25-21  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000