Railroad Line Forums - YA3DP
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 240 ]  [ Total: 243 ]  [ Newest Member: Stuart W ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 YA3DP
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 26 Flatcar in Fn3 Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the Church 2-25-21
Page: of 14

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  1:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
Fun (well for those watching) project. I'm following as well. I like enjoy your mechanism based posts!

Scott

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  2:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's fun on this end Scott!

Jim

Take the red pill

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  3:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting to see the level of skill going into this project.

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  8:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl,

Getting a little ahead here, but a test of the bearings and table motion without the drive servo looked like this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6n3mgc9wgwshsk/IMG_2178.MOV?dl=0

You can hear the bridge just intermittently scraping the pit wall. A light touch with a jewelers file solved that. I should have issued a WARNING to Frank regarding Tilt-n-Hurl similarities.

Jim

Take the red pill

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  8:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim takes some skill to do this kind of work.

Nice turntable and thanks for the tutorial.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  10:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice free turning bearings.

George

Fly Army

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  12:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice spinner!

It's only make-believe

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  08:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry, George, and Bob, for checking out the progress.

Jim

Take the red pill

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  10:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíll like to buy a vowel Pat...errr...Jim...

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  11:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Iíll like to buy a vowel Pat...errr...Jim...

If a vowel helps you solve this puzzle...go for it!

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  7:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With one rail powered, the other rail needed some power too. A trip to the LHS bagged me a sacrificial N scale Caboose, hope this isn't some rare edition. I just wanted some metal wheels, and he had a set for $18.99 or this car in the used bucket for $5.00.

I had a flashback to my old N scale days, as I plucked those wheels out. My intention was to put the wheels together with the flanges outboard to hang over the outside of the rail.

This next shot is added for a possible new modeler. There is more going on here than might meet the eye. I'm using a #70 drill in a pin vise to drill the holes in 1/8" piece of ABS plastic. I've drilled about 25 holes with that drill bit, and will probably drill another hundred with it. I've seen guys who can't drill a single hole with a fine bit in a pin vise. They hand hold the piece to be drilled, and the flexing between the object and the pin vise snaps the bit. The object in the photo is sitting flat on a piece of self adhesive sandpaper. It doesn't wander around the surface. The pin vise is held vertically and starting the hole. See the marked line? That's the sharp end of my calipers, scribing the line across the surface, and then drawn over with a #2 pencil. It gives a very clear view of where the hole should be. The pencil lead washes right off.

OK back to the show.

That actually worked, however getting the power from the pit rail to the track rail was a hassle. Because the caboose wheels are like all other 'car' wheels, the center is insulated between the axle and the wheel. So I cobbled a gizmo that looked like a cross between a bobby pin and a safety pin. It was intermittent at best, and useless at last. (no pictures please!) So I reworked that idea and went with miniature roller bearings that would be wider than the railhead. 3mm X 6mm X 3mm.

I made some new end blocks for the bridge, again with ABS. Drilled and tapped for the 3mm screws that were waiting for the roller bearings.

While I waited for the bearings to come, I printed up some mock bearings to be able to make some other adjustments and parts.

The roller bearings will be all steel, so I can pick the second rails power right through the bearing to brass backing plate that runs a wire directly to the rail. There is no wobble beween the bridge abd the pit rail..Remember that extra washer? It's under the pit bottom.

This next shot, I flinched between tring to hold a meter lead on a wire, and focus/shooting the picture..well. I'm checking resistance between the wire feeding the pit rail and the wire to the track rail. It was reading .02 ohms, the exact reading Between the lead when connected together. So, between the wire/code 100 rail/steel roller bearing/brass backing/and railhead, it is a dead short, exactly what we want.

Jim

Take the red pill

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  9:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
Nice work. I am one of those people who has a hard time not breaking small bits. I am going to not hold any of my parts in the future.

Scott

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  09:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice SBS Jim. Like how you're introducing using miniature bearings into a project. Something I've been doing also.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  09:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for commenting Scott, and Bernd. Scott will be saving bits, and Bernd has a 'Bearing Brother'.

Jim

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2021 :  09:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still waiting for the drive servo, but I did 'wire up' the bridge after spending a load of time leveling out the track and bridge.

The bearing powering system worked without any problems. Manually turning the bridge through several full rotations, not a blink of the headlight, not a glitch in the sound.

Jim

Take the red pill

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: 26 Flatcar in Fn3 Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the Church 2-25-21  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000