Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry
Page: of 33

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  3:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrian_batey

Tony, I love the SW1. Looks like a great logging loco project. Care to share some more pics of it over in the diesel shop?

Sure can. Where's the diesel shop?

just kidding, I know which one your talking about

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Edited by - Nelson458 on 11/07/2017 4:02:23 PM

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  8:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry Tony meant to say the Roundhouse section of the form.

Modeling the Northern Pacific Yacolt Branch
https://yacoltbranch.blogspot.com.au/

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  4:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrian_batey

Sorry Tony meant to say the Roundhouse section of the form.

Diesel shop? The roundhouse? The mind is spinning. Ok, so let me get this right, you would like to see the diesel in the roundhouse that is for steam?. Are you sure????

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  6:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not getting too much done, every time I get in the train room, I want to run trains, and I really need to do some construction.

So, I did get the last two windows in and the side door, although I think I went a little heavy on the weathering.

The door is from Rusty Stumps, and the hinges from Vector Cut.

Tony Burgess

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  6:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
Nice door hinges. Are you using nails, bolts or screws to attach the door? Your picture is kind of dark, I can't see the hinge pins!
Nice work
Rich

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  6:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, Maybe. But still, damn nice work.
ed

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  9:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

More great details! I have some Vector Cut hinges just waiting to be used.

Sometimes doors get a lot of abuse from the weather. Just a suggestion, but both sides of the door should probably be paneled.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  4:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Tony,
Nice door hinges. Are you using nails, bolts or screws to attach the door? Your picture is kind of dark, I can't see the hinge pins!
Nice work
Rich

Thanks Rich. Was going to use nails, but I lost them. I think I miss identified them as wood shavings and swept them into the trash bin. So I used super glue. It holds anything.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  4:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed k

Tony, Maybe. But still, damn nice work.
ed

Thanks Ed.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  4:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

More great details! I have some Vector Cut hinges just waiting to be used.

Sometimes doors get a lot of abuse from the weather. Just a suggestion, but both sides of the door should probably be paneled.

Mike

Thanks Mike, and your right. I was at first going with the idea of a steel door. But a steel door with paneling doesn't make sense either.

Tony Burgess

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  4:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hinges look great Tony. To me the door looks a bit overdone.
But that's just me.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  4:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Hinges look great Tony. To me the door looks a bit overdone.
But that's just me.

I agree, in person, it doesn't look bad at all, but blown up, well, a bit much. Not too late for a re-do. Just to show it, this is about life size.

Tony Burgess

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  5:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been out of town and just getting caught up on the loco shed.

Thanks for providing a detailed description as you progress, Tony. There's some great information there. I know that takes a lot of time, but for those of us that do scratch building, it's very useful.

George

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  08:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you George, that is much appreciated. I just did a presentation at out model meet yesterday on my Sewall's Foundry, and hour and a half long. Loved it. Apparently many people emailed to the "man in charge" Dave Salamon, that they learned a lot. That made me feel good, and inspires me to do more.

On another note, one person asked to see the lamp shades I ordered from Shapeways. I cut one off and tried to drill a hole through the stem to feed some thin wire to light it. Apparently, it was too solid through there to take a drill (.020" drill, the stem is @ .040") and broke off at the shade. So I won't be using these for the lighting outside, but will either use them as-is, or go to Ticky Trains shades and add some nano LED's I ordered from Evan Designs. We'll see.

Here are a few pics of the shades, they come in a block of 40 lamps for $10.50. Good price. They definitely will need a spray paint application. Brush painted here for a test, but is a little thick. Spraying would be much better.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2017 :  2:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Working on the side doors before I put the walls up. The doors are not finished yet, have a little trim and stuff to add, but I wanted to show the hangers I'm doing. The wheels for the hangers I bought off Shapeways.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/848XCTM6P/ho-pulleys?optionId=61137025&li=ostatus

I drilled out the center to accept a NBW from Vector cut later.

Also, I toned down the heavily weathered door.

Hope everyone had a happy thanks giving.

Tony Burgess

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000