Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Sierra West Donkey Repair Yard:
Page: of 42

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2019 :  12:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry it has been a while since I posted. Had several pictures taken, just only now downloaded them to the computer. I did get a light box to show the pictures better, so no distractions from what's on my bench. I always hated that. I have added a fence, a platform for the tank (notice the nails sticking out where some boards came loose) and am working on a tree for the corner, no foliage at this time. A wild bush is from Martin Welberg's collection, and some signs added to the shed. So, enjoy...

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2019 :  12:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole scene is really sharp. I love the oil/fuel dock with the weeds between the boards. Why is the shed cleaned out? Is management getting ready to replace it? (tongue is in cheek) I really enjoying your build.

Bob

It's only make-believe

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2019 :  1:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony

Very nice scene. Thew weathering is right on the shed and tank.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2019 :  1:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very impressive piece of work, Tony.

George

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2019 :  2:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

The whole scene is really sharp. I love the oil/fuel dock with the weeds between the boards. Why is the shed cleaned out? Is management getting ready to replace it? (tongue is in cheek) I really enjoying your build.

Bob

. I just havenít gotten to that yet but thank you

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2019 :  2:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry and George, thank you, I appreciate that

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2019 :  2:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work, Tony. The nails are a great touch. Everything is falling together so well, or maybe falling apart.

Mike

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2019 :  07:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job. The coloring on the wood is fantastic and the nails are a special surprise. The tank with the rust/oil mixture is spot on. The ballast looks a bit new to be servicing this water tank.

Bryan

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2019 :  07:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I always enjoy viewing your work. It's projects like this that are really a great surprise when one hasn't posted for some time. Ditto on the tank, platforms and nails, etc. Nice work.

Rich

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2019 :  07:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just fantastic, Tony. I especially like the way that you've weathered the steel tank on the platform.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2019 :  12:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That whole scene is amazing! The gaps between boards, nails sticking out where boards went missing, and a billion other little details. Love it.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Dave

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2019 :  12:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything is excellent Tony.

Perhaps I missed it, is the very nice tank scratched?

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2019 :  11:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brownbr

Nice job. The coloring on the wood is fantastic and the nails are a special surprise. The tank with the rust/oil mixture is spot on. The ballast looks a bit new to be servicing this water tank.

Bryan,
thank you, and your right, the track is looking a little newer than it should be, (but to my credit, I did only just lay it recently ). But you have given me some food for thought. Thanks.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2019 :  11:22:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Tony,

I always enjoy viewing your work. It's projects like this that are really a great surprise when one hasn't posted for some time. Ditto on the tank, platforms and nails, etc. Nice work.

Rich

Thank you Rich, Russ, Dave and Carl.

On the nails, not sure I mentioned it, I use a .010" drill (I have sizes from .008" to .014" in .001" increments I bought from a supplier years ago who supplies our company with drills and tools) and insert a rust painted (first I use 'weather-it' for a darker look and better paint adhesion) bronze wire from Ticky train, or I could use a brass 'rod' from K&S or others. After putting the wire into the hole, I snip off level, or higher, to the platform, then just tap a spot of paint to the tip of the now 'nail' with paint to kill the shine.

And to Carl, at first I thought you meant a real scratch , started looking for one Haha, but, as to your question, no, it is a casting from the Sierra West kit. Although this is a scratchbuilt model, there are some very nice castings Brett threw into this kit, and I will be using most of them. Others I will use elsewhere, and even others of his from detail sets, etc., I will be adding, as well as some 3D printed details and some of my own, a nice mix of stuff to keep some guessing. But feel free to ask anytime.

Thank you all for your kind, and observant, comments and some suggestions. Much appreciated.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2019 :  1:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, Thanks to Bryan Brown, I have removed the existing track, and did a total makeover. The ties are now much more worn, and the track is handlaid. I used a finer ballast, and weathered it a little bit. I also have added the tree foliage, hope you like it.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 09/01/2019 1:26:39 PM

Page: of 42 Topic Next Topic: Sierra West Donkey Repair Yard:  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000