Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 126 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Sierra West Donkey Repair Yard:
Page: of 42

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  11:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW, that roof looks fabulous.

Aren't the guys going to be upset when it rains and their tools get wet? Or are they going to cover the roof over before the next rain storm?

Bernd

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  7:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tony,
You never cease to amaze me! Wonderful work on the roof sections!
Dave

David Guffey

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  8:15:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

WOW, that roof looks fabulous.

Aren't the guys going to be upset when it rains and their tools get wet? Or are they going to cover the roof over before the next rain storm?

Bernd

. Bernt, no, I still have to add the battons, but maybe I should add a lot of buckets just to be sure, or something of that nature

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Edited by - Nelson458 on 12/30/2018 8:17:17 PM

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  8:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Tony,
You never cease to amaze me! Wonderful work on the roof sections!
Dave

. Thanks Dave

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  11:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've taken a long rest from building anything on this model, after over a year on it, I thought I was losing interest. But I started back on it this last week. Mostly, what I am working on now is a crane for the inside. I got the idea from Karl, of one he did in his award winning engine shed. I wanted to have something similar, but not copy it completely.

So, here we are, although I still have some gears and support beams to the structure to add, the basics are done. I started off with the base, pouring a small mold of plaster, sanding a 30 angle on the sides, and a plate with NBW castings. Then I went on to the crane itself. Here is where I started to change it. I morticed the joints on 12x12 beams braced with 2x12 stripwood, the attached with some .6mm brass nuts and bolts I bought from Scale Hardware.

The small holes in the top to accept some chain, are first drilled with a #55 drill, then cleaned the insides as best I could with a small flat file that had a small end. Then I used a piece of stripwood, a 4x4 I think, that also measured .055" square, and used it to poke through to give a pretty decent small square hole. That's as far as I have gotten so far.

Tony Burgess

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  11:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Tony!

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  12:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Nice work Tony!

Thank you Carl.

Tony Burgess

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  12:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony good to see you back at it. Nice looking crane!

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  1:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, once again great carpentry. It's going to be a hanging crane.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  2:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry and Bob. But what is a hanging crane? I thought I was building a jib crane!?

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  2:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I am fond of good old-fashioned wood joinery, especially when done in scale. Mortise and tenon takes a lot of care to do right in real life. Impressive.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  2:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice to see you back at it Tony. I concur with Mike. Excellent "model" joinery on the crane.

Bernd

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  5:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike and Bernd. Kind of you to say

Tony Burgess

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  6:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you back at it, Tony. Your carpentry is amazing.

George

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2019 :  4:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Good to see you back at it, Tony. Your carpentry is amazing.

George

Thank you George, sometimes the small stuff is easier to do than the 1:1 stuff. At least the wood is a lot cheaper

Tony Burgess

Page: of 42 Topic Next Topic: Sierra West Donkey Repair Yard:  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000