Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry
Page: of 33

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2018 :  3:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hamer

Those 2-8-0's are quite handsome, Tony. Great workhorses, I'm sure. Super modeling in the environs around the locos as well!

Thanks Mike. The dio behind is part of my scratchbuilt Rusty's Salvage, which has a very similar resemblance to a Sierra West kit: the Blue Sky kit.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2018 :  3:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know you don't want a layout but why not string your Dioramas along a couple of walls that share a corner and give these beauties about 8 feet to strut around on?

It's only make-believe

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2018 :  8:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

I know you don't want a layout but why not string your Dioramas along a couple of walls that share a corner and give these beauties about 8 feet to strut around on?

That's actually close to what I was going to do. Wasn't going to string it around a corner, at least not yet, I have a couple of bookcases on each end, but along a wall for sure.

Tony Burgess

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/23/2018 :  9:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As someone with a soft spot in my heart for the N&W, (grandfather put in 40 years with that outfit, as he called it) I am really jealous. GORGEOUS locomotives. All they need now is a crew and a few miles on the line (weathering). I have a picture of either 6 or 7, whichever one is at the museum in Roanoke. Fine engineering that kept them working long after being replaced with the 4-8-0s and heavier brutes.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  4:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocalicreek

As someone with a soft spot in my heart for the N&W, (grandfather put in 40 years with that outfit, as he called it) I am really jealous. GORGEOUS locomotives. All they need now is a crew and a few miles on the line (weathering). I have a picture of either 6 or 7, whichever one is at the museum in Roanoke. Fine engineering that kept them working long after being replaced with the 4-8-0s and heavier brutes.

Galen

Yes, these were built in the mid (or so) 1890's, and were retired in 1955. My favorite locos, for some reason. I went to Roanoke and I am sure I saw it, but just don't remember, been a LONG time ago. I'll have to dig out pictures to find out. This was before digital cameras.

I want to do some weathering on them, but at the moment, I am hesitant. I thought I'd find a lesser liked loco and try it out there first.

Thank you for the story, and fine comments.

Tony Burgess

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  6:52:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

quote:

That's actually close to what I was going to do. Wasn't going to string it around a corner, at least not yet, I have a couple of bookcases on each end, but along a wall for sure.

We really need a "like" button here.

It's only make-believe

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  4:47:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

quote:

We really need a "like" button here.

I've thought that many a time.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2018 :  6:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Time, I think, for my weekly (seems like) update. I had purchased several sizes of pumps from Shapeways, not knowing which one would work, as it is, I chose the largest for the flat car. I spray painted it a Mission Models grey primer, which looked good as it was, but I still wanted to add some color, mainly some rusty areas, and some steel on the intersecting rods between the motor and pump.

At first, I was looking at using it in the shop and somehow wheeling it to where it needed to be, but I wasn't coming up with anything acceptable that I liked, then I thought about putting it on the car. After all, the square water tank needed filling on occasion, and using a near by stream was just the thing. So that is my reasoning.

Then I shifted gears to the shed, wanting to start on the main roof, and leaving other details for later. To start off, I needed a long beam, and something sturdy, and wide enough to attach the rafters and have a lip to position them in place. The rafters are going to be 2 x 8 stock. I started out with 2 x 10's, and adding a spacer between for the thickness I needed (and don't ask why, I can't remember why I needed that thickness). I did, however, want a lip on the bottom to hold the rafters while I glued them in place, and came up with the following sketch, adding a 4 x 4 along each bottom edge, with a couple of 2 x 8's under that to keep the 4x4's square. Now that is some sturdy beam.

It is held in place, yet removable, by a couple of stops below each end.

In the mean time, while I was trying out some rafters for size, I made an error (I know, I admit, I'm not perfect) in the side wall, making it just about .05" taller than I needed. So I had to add some 4 by stock to the top of the roof line, which I will color and blend in later. While at it, I added some .020" stock to on side of the high pitched roof to get it in alignment as well.

So now I am ready to make some rafters, test fitting as I go. I'll be spacing them at a 3-1/2 foot distance. I have done a couple of other models with this spacing, and it looks good.

I also made a couple of cardboard templates to help with cutting the angles right.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2018 :  9:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Nice strong rafter construction you are using. You obviously like a firm support for everything that follows. Straight and even too.

Mike

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  5:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

Nice strong rafter construction you are using. You obviously like a firm support for everything that follows. Straight and even too.

Mike

Thanks Mike, yes, I had to splice several lengths together to get the length of the shed, I guess much like the prototype. And it is fairly straight too.

I was out back this afternoon taking some wildlife photos. Here are a couple. Just to break up the monotony. We plant a lot of flowers that are bee, butterfly and hummingbird friendly. This small potted plant surprised both Sherry and I. The cows we have out in the back field. Not mine, they live in the pasture.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2018 :  7:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have made the center wall for the shed, but when I first cut them to length, I misread the calipers, and cut them 1" too long. So I had to cut them off. An embarrassment for me since I use calipers every day at work in inspection. So, now they were cut to the height I needed, I slipped the wall back in and left it for a day or two, only to wonder how I was going to remove the roof if it was so high, as the cross braces on the roof trusses would now go under the top beam. So I removed it again to take off another inch. Now, I hoped it was right, and the roof structure would rest on top.

At least I didn't have to cut some more stripwood for the 45 degree braces, they were salvaged from my mistakes.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 10/18/2018 7:54:54 PM

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2018 :  11:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i honestly thought the cows were figures you painted.
sorry...i'm just lurking and admiring your work.

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2018 :  12:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kebmo

i honestly thought the cows were figures you painted.
sorry...i'm just lurking and admiring your work.

Thanks Kevin. The cows would be easy, I'm still working on the bees

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2018 :  8:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been placing a few details around the shed. Among other things.

Tony Burgess

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2018 :  9:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like. Looking so good.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000