Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry
Page: of 33

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  08:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
T~,
Man oh man! Nice job on pretty much everything bossman, drawings, designs, wood staining, assembly & hell even the pictures. Good Job! You go girl... Thanx Thom...

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  09:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I really like your plans with the different window sizes and the overall proportions. Great start on construction.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  10:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thom, thank you, first time I was referenced as a girl (You go girl... ?)

Thank you Mike, it is the variety I like too.

When I was at the Convention in Denver, I bought all the stripwood available in the 2x8 and 2x10 sizes, and three packs of 24" long 1/16 square stripwood for this project. Actually, the 1/16" is from a 'multi scale' 4x4 in S or 3x3 in O scale.

So I have almost 2 walls done now, and am starting the second bag of 1/16 stripwood (7 strips per bag, 24" long), so far, that's 16 feet of 1/16 stripwood used. Hard to believe. Not sure I will have enough, so I made a large order from Fast Tracks, who is now selling Mt. Albert lumber. Had to buy it in their large lots selection, 16" long. Hope I have enough now

And plenty for the future.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  11:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's indeed remarkable how quickly a project like this consumes stripwood. I've largely moved to the 24" lengths and sometimes order in bulk.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 09/09/2017 11:05:31 AM

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  5:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

It's indeed remarkable how quickly a project like this consumes stripwood. I've largely moved to the 24" lengths and sometimes order in bulk.

Mike

It's certainly the cheaper way to go. The packets of stripwood cost substantially more. Unless you only need a few of one size. In my case, Mt Albert, or Fast Tracks, now, didn't have anything else available for the size I needed, except in bulk. At least not right now.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  6:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have all the wall framework done. Next on the list is siding.

Tony Burgess

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  6:28:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This girl (?) can model. I have always admired the beautiful work that both female and male scratch build modelers achieve.
ed

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  7:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

You have another nice one started.

George

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  8:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, Ed, you are so funny

Thanks George. Appreciate that.

Tony Burgess

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  11:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
Your building looks large. I realize you showed your sketch on a previous post, but without going back to check, what is the building footprint?
I tend to construct small structures so that I don't have to add a tremendous amount of details. You have enough room for a number of trains! The roof will be a bugger to do on this building! Are you planning on making part of it removable? Looking good so far.
Rich

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  4:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Tony,
Your building looks large. I realize you showed your sketch on a previous post, but without going back to check, what is the building footprint?
I tend to construct small structures so that I don't have to add a tremendous amount of details. You have enough room for a number of trains! The roof will be a bugger to do on this building! Are you planning on making part of it removable? Looking good so far.
Rich

hi Rich, thank you, and the building is about 13.5 x 9.25" wide. I plan on a removable roof, and lighting, which is something I don't do often. LED's are my new choice for lights. I also plan on as much interior detail as I can muster.

I wanted the depth deep enough to house at lease a 4-6-2, and the middle bay for smaller engines. The left bay will have an open door in the rear, whereas the smallest offset one on the right would be for repairing freight cars. There will be an extra track on the outside near the car barn side.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 09/11/2017 4:08:59 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  9:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great Tony, sounds like a good plan. This should be a treat to watch unfold. Your builds always have unique details.
Thanks for sharing your skills.
Rich

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  9:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

That's great Tony, sounds like a good plan. This should be a treat to watch unfold. Your builds always have unique details.
Thanks for sharing your skills.
Rich

Thank you Rich.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  10:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

It's hard to resist propping walls up so we can visualize what the completed model will look like. It looks great from my perspective. Perhaps a little unstable at this point.

Mike

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  08:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great so far Tony. Looking forward to the siding.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000